The Alpine Linux project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of version 2.7.5 of its Alpine Linux operating system. Download it: http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi/v2.7/releases/x86/alpine-2.7.5-x86.iso
Saidar For a system admin, its always exciting to learn new commands to monitor system resources, and here is a new one. Its called Saidar and is a very small tool. Even simpler than and . It displays a small screen full of statistics on a variety of system resources that you might want to monitor. Saidar is a part of the libstatgrab...
As a Linux sysadmin it feels great power when monitoring system resources like cpu, memory on the commandline. To peek inside the system is a good habit here atleast, because that's one way of driving your Linux system safe. Plenty of tools like Htop, Nmon, Collectl, top and iotop etc help you accomplish the task. Today lets try another tool called Glances. Glances Glances is a tool similar to that has a very compact display to provide a complete overview of different system resources on just...
I am a new Linux and Unix user. How do I change the root directory of a command? How do I change the root directory of a process such as web-server using a chroot command to isolate file system? How do I use a chroot command to reset a forgotten Linux password, reinstall the bootloader, jail apps and more?
Read more: Linux and Unix chroot command examples
I recently read that SSH keys provide a secure way of logging into a Linux and Unix-based server. How do I set up SSH keys on a Linux or Unix based systems? In SSH for Linux/Unix, how do I set up public key authentication?
Read more: Linux setup ssh keys
Ojuba is a most common distro in Arab world. It isn't only a Fedora-Based distro but also a big project that works hard to be always better.
So Ojuba project manage many projects that make changes, Ojuba contribute in Fedora iself and in many big open source projects as KDE,MATE,VLC,Wine and others.
These projects as Thawab the fastest searching library, Occ one of high personalaty control panel, Hijra best algorithm to calculate Hijri calender, Mimic the multimedia convertor, and many many others.
Ojuba with other Arab open source partners as LinuxAC,ArabEyes,Helal and professional programmers like Dr.Khaled Hosny and Taha Zarroki, make Linux more common in Arab world.
Ojuba future of Linux in Arab World.
There are a number of competing web servers but nginx is probably your best bet, conceived relatively recently in 2002 by Igor Sysoev, nginx was built from the ground up with the explicit goal of handling a large number of concurrent connections. In simple terms, whereas Apache creates a new process for each new connection (visitor/http request) nginx offloads requests to worker processes and allows for asynchronous resource allocation. What this means in practice is a much faster, more efficient server environment and in turn a faster website.
Sounds great, right. But how would you go about setting this up? Luckily, the nginx & WordPress experts over at rtcamp have build an awesome script (easyengine) for taking a stock Ubuntu VPS image, installing the required server components and a fresh WordPress install with pre-configured support for caching, in basically 3 system commands!
Read more: https://gplclub.org/build-faster-wordpress-sites-nginx-3-lines/
Before rolling out the analysis, it’s important to understand the technology. Microsoft Lync 2013 helps connect to multiple people across different operating systems and mobile devices. As a unified enterprise-ready communications platform, it enables an environment that facilitates instant video conferencing, messaging, voice chats and meeting. In short, it provides a single and consistent presence experience for its client.
While Microsoft may project changes brought about in the Lync Server 2013, enabling better experiences than ever before, there are a few concern areas that you users need to be aware of.
- Video Conferencing limitations: Continuing to be a low area, this version of Microsoft’s Lync too has been observed to be immature in terms of its video conferencing capabilities. Besides, it doesn’t provide end-to-end solutions such as video-room systems, video desktops, telepresence systems or video gateways. Its solutions for multi-party video conferencing, works on desktops only. Its conferencing capabilities are also limited with allowing a maximum of five people in a conference only and feature lacks such as server-side recording, dual presentation and multi-casting. Other problems associated with its video conferencing capabilities are its interoperability constraints with 3rd party products and that it consumes exorbitant bandwidths which are about 600% more than its counterparts.
- ü Lack of consistent BYOD support: BYOD is the next big revolution that’s happening in working environments. As such Lync 2013’s compatibility with the BYOD culture is critical. While it does support presence and instant messaging on platforms like iOS, Android and Windows, it falls short of features like simultaneous multi-party video and viewing shared meeting content.
- ü Voice limitations persist: This was one of the major lookout areas in terms of improvements expected. To begin with, users will have to invest in conference phones, Session Border Controllers for security purposes and 3rd party gateways. If you have a pre-existent system in place, you actually have to rip it apart. Besides it doesn’t even have call recording, call parking or contact centre features, making it troublesome for most users.
- ü Real-time collaboration shortcomings: Microsoft’s Lync 2013 requires sourcing a number of applications from various 3rd party vendors, making it unsuitable for users looking for an all-in-one solution.
- ü Investments in trainings: Due its nature of complexities, organizations will need to invest in training their staff, in-mates. Besides, they will also have to hire individuals with Linux certifications to help deploy and manage the system and troubleshoot as and when required. All this requires huge investments that organization may want to reconsider beforehand.
- ü Investments in Lync Voice too high: As per the conclusions from detailed interviews done with 211 real world customers, it was observed that Lync’s users spent $1,912 on an average, in installations (on the 1st year itself).
- ü Customer Choice is limited: Essentially Microsoft’s way with its products and sales strategies, for instance, product bundling, can end up in users being locked into their systems.
For the perfect communications solution, organizations require services that can be imbibed into existing systems, with delivering effective and efficient quality services in a cost-effective structure.
Have you been using Microsoft Lync 2013? How has your experience been? What according to you are its biggest drawbacks? Share your thoughts and takes with us.
This week another episode of Minimarte - web animated series, made with open source tools, got out of the box.
The animation is on youtube, at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I82gEaX-r4
And a small text with some making of images are at oficial site, at: http://www.minimarte.com/2014/02/26/episodio-2-as-primeiras-aparicoes/
All series, and all animations made with: Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, Synfig, Audacity, Kdenlive.
-Gimp is used for frame-by-frame animation;
-Inkscape for vector illustration
-Synfig for vector animation and compositions
-Blender for character animation
-Audacity for audio tracks and effects
-Kdenlive for video editing.
Story, screenplay: Ricardo Graça, Eduardo Graça
Animation, Direction, Editing: Ricardo Graça
Sound effects and tracks: Jorge Cruz
Images ( making of ):