Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Mobile Computing Android Does anyone really need to root Android?

Does anyone really need to root Android?

Link to this post 10 Dec 10

I'd like to root my Nexus One but I didn't do it because I'd like to keep my warranty.
I'm really satisfied about my google image even if it could be nice to be able to modify some configuration files (in my case /etc/hosts and few more) but I'm still keeping original image due to warranty troubles.
It could be great if google provide us a way to add info to their config files when needed, in my case I'd like to add information to /etc/hosts, it would be great to have an external file (example: /mnt/sdcard/etc/hosts, /var/etc/hosts, ....) editable so I can add stuff to it.

Ben

Link to this post 04 May 11

To be honest, I would have to agree with Andrea Benini on this one. If I have a really nice phone from verizon, running at least 2.2 Froyo on it, I would probably stick with it and keep the manufacturer's warranty. As long as you can access all of the good apps and do what you want to with the phone, I would almost rather keep it right where it is, providing the OS is stable on that phone. Honeycomb really does sound like a good turnout so far, but do remember that when Apple aimed to put out the iPhone 4, it took them a few months to realize that there was actually anything wrong with the supposed brand-new, all-powerful screwup.

Link to this post 04 May 11

It's not a matter of whay you can do with your phone. It's about if it's *YOURS*.

The phone is *mine* I should be able to do whatever the **** I want with it, root it, crash it, drop it in the sea... whatever I WANT.

That's my opinion about rooting.

Regards

Link to this post 05 May 11

I agree with Marc. I haven't rooted my Droid and really haven't missed it, until I got my wifi only GTablet, and replaced the ROM and kernel. Being able to install a new kernel and see the difference in speed is eye opening. Hopefully, Google will win its fragmentation battle with the big carriers and force the platform to open up more.

Goineasy9 wrote:

I agree with Marc. I haven't rooted my Droid and really haven't missed it, until I got my wifi only GTablet, and replaced the ROM and kernel. Being able to install a new kernel and see the difference in speed is eye opening. Hopefully, Google will win its fragmentation battle with the big carriers and force the platform to open up more.

I doubt that as Android being modifyable is the key to its success ;)

No I'm not saying I disagree by any means. In fact I help alot of my friends in their rooting expeditions lol. But I am just saying that if I get a really nice phone that I can't afford to replace, I'm probably not gonna root it. Now if it was a tablet or something that I didn't rely on as my main source of communication, I would most likely root it, as long as honeycomb is compatible.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board