Linux.com

upgrade android

Link to this post 15 Dec 10

can anyone upgrade android 2.1 to 2.2 or 2.3 on one mobile phone such as sumsung galaxy s without changing this phone?

The only official way to get the upgrade is to wait for the next over the air update, you can root your phone and replace the OS with a updated unofficial RAM, but then you void your warranty and will no longer be applicable for OTA updates.

do you think that it is necessary to upgrade?

It is best to wait for the OTA updates, when installing unofficial images you run the risk of installing a rootkit or other potentially malicious software. What model of android headset do you have?

Link to this post 16 Dec 10

mfillpot wrote:

It is best to wait for the OTA updates, when installing unofficial images you run the risk of installing a rootkit or other potentially malicious software. What model of android headset do you have?

He's right, rooting is a little bit intensive (though not really anymore) but you can run into issues and plausible brick your phone. If you don't want to really get into it, I don't recommend rooting for everyone.

Link to this post 16 Dec 10

And these are all excellent reasons why I NEVER will purchase a vendor-locked phone again! With my unlocked nexus one I have the ability to do things like update to beta versions of the firmware/OS without running afoul of my service provider's cruft that they have undoubtedly baked into their versions of whatever phone you get from them. Yes, getting an unlocked phone (not rooted, but not locked to a single network provider) is considerably more expensive - an unlocked Nexus One (or now Nexus S) will set you back something over $500 USD, vs about $100-$200 when purchased from a network service along with a 2 year contract, but then you aren't tied to a new contract, and can jump providers by plugging in a new SIM (assuming you have a GSM phone).

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board