Linux.com

virt-install becoming a headache

Link to this post 29 Apr 11

i was able to replicate your problem on my CentOS box by calling virt-install with the ISO being named using '-l' like you said you did:

-l /data/iso/Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso

but if i call it with '-c', then it works (for me):

-c /data/iso/Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso

does that make a difference?

Link to this post 03 May 11

hi atreyu
thanks once again to post.
i have tried with "-c" or "--cdrom" but it just gets stuck at "connected to domain" "Escape character is ^]" i don't know what the heck is going on.
at least with -l or --location it showed the menu installation but as before i don't know when it reaches the part of chossing the "Installation Method" i'm quite lost ;(
what do you guess its going on with my server o whatever so you could execute with -c or --cdrom and i get stuck if i use them.

wikisb wrote:

hi atreyu
thanks once again to post.
i have tried with "-c" or "--cdrom" but it just gets stuck at "connected to domain" "Escape character is ^]" i don't know what the heck is going on.
at least with -l or --location it showed the menu installation but as before i don't know when it reaches the part of chossing the "Installation Method" i'm quite lost ;(
what do you guess its going on with my server o whatever so you could execute with -c or --cdrom and i get stuck if i use them.

It sounds like the install is started, you just can't see the actual install screen. I know you are *supposed* to do this text-only, but can you leave off the --nographics option, and add the --vnc option and see if that gets you any further?

hi again atreyu it seems that you are the only who is helping here
sorry for posting things a bit late. i'm becoming feed up of it, im becoming frustated
i have tried what you said trying with "--vnc"
as i haven't got SDL libraries neither others of graphical things it prompted this :
"(virt-viewer:9095) Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to the console to complete the installation process" (the normal thing should be "running server 127.0.0.1 port 5900"???)
i supose that i will have to connect with my server with putty or a similar program. my server si called "fsystem" and has a static ip as i havent put a specific port to vnc the port where is working vnc its 5900.
so i have put in putty the static ip of my server and the port 5900 but it doesn't connect.
with virsh list --all i get the VM running but i can't acces to it to install the OS guest.

also i wanted to try with an xml. i pasted a xml file from one of my VM that i couldn't install(i did destroy & undefine of that VM) and changed some things so it showed the device /dev/cdrom or exactly the path of the iso. i did virsh create or define name.xml but i can't acces to it to begin the installation. if i do virsh list --all i see the VM of the xml running but nothing else

i have done virsh console nameVM and it connects to domain but it only prints Espace character is ^] and it doesn't do nothing else.

wikisb wrote:

hi again atreyu it seems that you are the only who is helping here
sorry for posting things a bit late. i'm becoming feed up of it, im becoming frustated
i have tried what you said trying with "--vnc"
as i haven't got SDL libraries neither others of graphical things it prompted this :
"(virt-viewer:9095) Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to the console to complete the installation process" (the normal thing should be "running server 127.0.0.1 port 5900"???)
i supose that i will have to connect with my server with putty or a similar program. my server si called "fsystem" and has a static ip as i havent put a specific port to vnc the port where is working vnc its 5900.
so i have put in putty the static ip of my server and the port 5900 but it doesn't connect.
with virsh list --all i get the VM running but i can't acces to it to install the OS guest.

also i wanted to try with an xml. i pasted a xml file from one of my VM that i couldn't install(i did destroy & undefine of that VM) and changed some things so it showed the device /dev/cdrom or exactly the path of the iso. i did virsh create or define name.xml but i can't acces to it to begin the installation. if i do virsh list --all i see the VM of the xml running but nothing else

i have done virsh console nameVM and it connects to domain but it only prints Espace character is ^] and it doesn't do nothing else.

I missed the part in your orig. post about you running without a graphical environment. i'll try that myself when I get to work and see if I can replicate this problem. if anyone else has a clue - jump in!

I am sorry that I have been offline and haven't been able to help, I have been working on system upgrades. It is good to see that you have gotten some of your issues resolved.

It sounds like your no-hui option is blocking the GUI based installers from completing, removing the no-gui option as atreyu stated for the basic installation and adding it for future boots sounds like the best option for your problems.

I will jump into your problem this evening following all of your posts and will reply with the exact steps I have taken and any solutions I may find.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board