Linux.com

Advice as usual...

Link to this post 08 May 11

I can't say I am a newbie, but I am still learning linux...currently I am using lubuntu 10.04, very smooth and light, but, there are somethings I would like to change which brings me to me question...best terminal to use to replace lxterminal?(not gonna lie, it for vain reasons).

That depends ;)

gnome-termina, konsole, urxvt, urxvt-tabbed, xterm,eterm.... there's plenty of terminals out there ;)

Regards

Whats is the problem with that terminal?

Maybe you don't need an other one try using the Virtual console (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_console) that is Ctrl+Alt+F6 (F1-F6) to enter the terminal and Ctrl-Alt-F7 to go back to GUI.

Link to this post 09 May 11

Thank you...I will check them out.

well, lxterminal is very...plain. I like transparency, I look a huge font database...you know, just change the tangible behavior.

rabidvillain wrote:

well, lxterminal is very...plain. I like transparency, I look a huge font database...you know, just change the tangible behavior.

Eterm is pretty darn sexy (supports transparency, etc.) but it can be a bear to install, if all the dep packages are not in the repo of your distro.

personally, my fave is urxvt. it is light-weight (versus gnome-terminal, etc.), yet very customizable. I install that and some good TrueType fonts w/hinting (Liberation Mono, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono), put some quick customizations in my .Xresources file, and i'm happy.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board