Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Command Line Display all 2516 possibilities?

Display all 2516 possibilities?

Link to this post 13 Dec 10

saqman2060 wrote:

By this do you mean the console, executes another program prior to the program you "Esc" out of? If so, are you holding down the "Esc" key while the new program is buffered?

The program run the console has only one process and when exits returns to the console and nothing else until any time afterward I decide to run another program from that same console, five seconds later or five minutes later, the 2516 possibilities prompt then pops up.

Link to this post 04 May 11

Of course, this might not be of any help whatsoever, have you tried to run this command:

clear

I know whenever I was experimenting with building a Linux OS from source code (never do this; Bad Brandon, bad!), I ran into a similar error that didn't necessarily have to do with the escape key, per say, but my console would bring up garbage like this sometimes. You could also try hitting Ctrl-C a few times when this occurs or if that doesn't work, logout and then log back in and you should be good to go.

Link to this post 05 May 11

You can always disable completion, but thats not funny.

Did you Google: "Display all * possibilities? (y or n)" you will find some info about this.

Check this out:
http://superuser.com/questions/37148/how-to-disable-double-tab-to-show-available-commands-in-linux-console

Maybe you can just disable completion with the ESC key or completion on empty strings. I will see if I can find anything.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board