Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Command Line trouble with name increment

trouble with name increment

Link to this post 15 Jan 12

Hi,
I am trying to write a script that records a window on my screen. No pb with that.
To go further I would like to choose an incremental fileName for output incrementing if the fileName already exist.
I have trouble doing it so before dealing with the incrementation itself, I want to check I can substitute the calculated name in the ffmpeg command.

filename="~/Bureau/essai"

index=1 #I will deal with the incrementation of index after this part works

mystring="${fileName}${index}.mkv" #omce I have a proper index I concatenate the name with index and name extension

echo ${mystring} # gives ~/Bureau/essai1.mkv seems to be what I expect

ffmpeg -f alsa ..... -y ${mystring}

I get this message

~/Bureau/essai1.mkv No such file or directory

despite -y to force overwriting

However if I put the file name directly in the command like this

ffmpeg -f alsa .....  -y ~/Bureau/essai1.mkv

it works perfectly. My question is : "What is wrong ?"

Link to this post 15 Jan 12

The script appears sane, so I do not see exactly what it wrong unless you have messed up something that is case sensitive, such as your use of the FileName variable when assigning to mystring.

I have cleaned up the base script below:

#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                 

filename="~/Bureau/essai"
index=1 #I will deal with the incrementation of index after this part works
mystring="${filename}${index}.mkv" #omce I have a proper index I concatenate the name with index and name extension
echo ${mystring} # gives ~/Bureau/essai1.mkv seems to be what I expect
echo "ffmpeg -f alsa ..... -y ${mystring}"

use that script to get the expected output, then try to copy and run the last output line to see if that differs from manual input.

Once you get this working I can help you to handle the name increments and testing to see if files exist.

Link to this post 16 Jan 12

hi, thank you for your help.
I did what you suggested and it works fine.

But what to do after that ? I tried to put the last echo line between back tits but the error message is still the same.

~/Bureau/video1.mkv: No such file or directory

here is the full script (my first one -adaptation - so be indulgent)

#!/bin/sh
#la ligne précédente indique que c'est un script bash. IL ne doit y avoir aucun caractère ou espace avant.
#Une ligne qui commence par un dièse est un commentaire. Comme cette ligne.
#Nous informons l'utilisateur
echo "\n Vous démarrez un enregistrement vidéo. Veuillez cliquer sur la fenêtre à enregistrer\n"
#Nous demandons au système les informations sur la fenêtre cliquée
INFO_FENETRE=$(xwininfo -frame)
#la commande attend le clic
#Nous affichons les informations
echo "\n Information sur la fenêtre \n" $INFO_FENETRE+"\n\n"
LARGEUR=$(echo $INFO_FENETRE | grep -oEe 'Width: [0-9]+' | grep -oEe '[0-9]+' )
echo "Largeur trouvée : "$LARGEUR
LARGEUR=$(($LARGEUR/2))
LARGEUR=$(($LARGEUR*2))
echo "Largeur corrigée : "$LARGEUR
HAUTEUR=$(echo $INFO_FENETRE | grep -oEe 'Height: [0-9]+' | grep -oEe '[0-9]+')
echo "Hauteur trouvée : "$HAUTEUR
HAUTEUR=$(($HAUTEUR/2))
HAUTEUR=$(($HAUTEUR*2))
echo "Hauteur corrigée : "$HAUTEUR
DECALAGE_FENETRE=$( echo $INFO_FENETRE | grep -oEe 'Corners:\s+\+[0-9]+\+[0-9]+' | grep -oEe '[0-9]+\+[0-9]+' | sed -e 's/\+/,/' )
echo "Décalage fenêtre: "$DECALAGE_FENETRE"\n\n"
#nous affichons la commande pour détection d'erreur s'il y a lieu.
#echo "\n ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 1 -i hw:1,0 -acodec flac -f x11grab -s "$LARGEUR"x$HAUTEUR -i :0.0+$DECALAGE_FENETRE -r 10 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast ~/Bureau/essai.mkv "+"\n\n"
#la commande proprement dite

filename="~/Bureau/video"
index=1 #will deal with index later
mystring="${filename}${index}.mkv"
echo "ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 1 -i hw:1,0 -acodec flac -f x11grab -s $LARGEUR"x"$HAUTEUR -i :0.0+$DECALAGE_FENETRE -r 15 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -y ${mystring}"

the output is

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 1 -i hw:1,0 -acodec flac -f x11grab -s 1042x360 -i :0.0+ -r 15 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast  -y ~/Bureau/video1.mkv

and the output command works!

I went a little further

This works (removing double quotes) :

filename=~/Bureau/video
index=1
mystring=${filename}${index}.mkv

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 1 -i hw:1,0 -acodec flac -f x11grab -s $LARGEUR"x"$HAUTEUR -i :0.0+$DECALAGE_FENETRE -r 15 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -y ${mystring}

but this doesn't (replacing ~ with /home/user)

filename=/home/jaaf/Bureau/video #I am jaaf
index=1
mystring=${filename}${index}.mkv

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 1 -i hw:1,0 -acodec flac -f x11grab -s $LARGEUR"x"$HAUTEUR -i :0.0+$DECALAGE_FENETRE -r 15 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -y ${mystring}

How comes ?

I took the original script and replaces the ~ with the $HOME variable and it was able to output into the correct file with no new errors, it looks like ffmpeg was having problems dealing with the ~ character when navigating the filesystem.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board