Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Command Line use command line to chat

use command line to chat

Link to this post 30 Jan 10

Use mcabber or ekg2 to talk via xmpp.

Link to this post 29 May 10

Just download Lynx, it's a web browser for the command line and after that download cmus, is a media player for the command line, and install the IRC client for the command line, now you can do a lot things in the command line, I really like it (except for the web browser, it's not so cool, you need images)

Hope this help

I recommend using Irssi for good, old fashioned IRC, and then use BitlBee to translate all other chat protocols into IRC. The protocols currently supported by BitlBee are MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM and XMPP/Jabber - the latter includes Facebook Chat and Google Talk.

adnhack wrote:

I really like it (except for the web browser, it's not so cool, you need images)
The Linux console has support for graphics through a kernel interface called the framebuffer, and you can have mouse support in the console (great for copy/paste) by installing a daemon called GPM. You should then check out the web browser Links 2, which uses these interfaces to let you browse the web from the Linux console with support for graphical images and mouse interaction.

If you like working in the console, you should also check out mplayer (support for framebuffer video playback), dvtm (an amazing terminal window manager) and fbida (framebuffer image viewer).

jabirali wrote:

I recommend using [url=http://irssi.org/]Irssi for good, old fashioned IRC, and then use [url=http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.r.html]BitlBee to translate all other chat protocols into IRC. The protocols currently supported by BitlBee are MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM and XMPP/Jabber - the latter includes Facebook Chat and Google Talk.

I used that for some time. To even go further you can combine all that with the use of Screen :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board