Linux.com

Gnome3 on Squeeze

Link to this post 27 May 11

Fedora 15 has been released and has the full Gnome 3 experience, plus Gnome-shell extensions to make Gnome 3 more configurable. Luckily some of the Gnome developers are on the RedHat payroll, so, I'm sure that helped a bit. Without the extensions, I find Gnome 3 quite unwieldy. Poll in the Fedora Forums show about a 50-50 split as to those that like it and those that hate it. Guess we're back to the normal Gnome vs. KDE numbers again. And I'm back to using KDE. It was my first DE using Linux, and it feels like I'm home again.

Link to this post 27 May 11

Goineasy9 wrote:

Fedora 15 has been released and has the full Gnome 3 experience, plus Gnome-shell extensions to make Gnome 3 more configurable. Luckily some of the Gnome developers are on the RedHat payroll, so, I'm sure that helped a bit. Without the extensions, I find Gnome 3 quite unwieldy. Poll in the Fedora Forums show about a 50-50 split as to those that like it and those that hate it. Guess we're back to the normal Gnome vs. KDE numbers again. And I'm back to using KDE. It was my first DE using Linux, and it feels like I'm home again.

I'm obviously a KDE guy. I didn't like the gnome 2.x branch but I found it usable. I gave a try last week to gnome 3.0: My God that was a terrible experience!!!

I dunno, to me Gnome seems to be transforming into a kind of "mac" for linux and I *hate* being told how to do things. Previews and demos looked kinda great but... wow, the user experience is definitely horrible in my humble opinion. You need way too many clicks for simple things and it's not keyboard friendly, at all.

I seriously encourage everybody to stay with the old gnome or any other DE.

Regards

Link to this post 28 May 11

I gave up on squeeze, gnome 3 was not my only issue with the distro, I lack the skills and patience to iron them out right now so jumped to fedora 15. I had squeeze on my laptop (Dell Studio) and recently banished windoze 7 for Ubuntu 11.4 on the family PC so for the most part I have been using unity recently. Gnome 3 by comparison is awesome! I am really really really into gnome 3 right now, for a terrible moment I was considering KDE (again) but now there is no need!

There is a whole bunch of stuff missing from Gnome 3 at the moment I feel but very happy regardless.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board