Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop Avast! Anti Virus for Linux, kind of cool.

Avast! Anti Virus for Linux, kind of cool.

Link to this post 09 Apr 12

Yeah i'm really enjoying Ubuntu 12.04 its in beta 2 and running great. It's full release is the 26th of april this month so it's done. The only issue I ran into they already made a patch available on the 10th for(Tomorrow). Very happy =)

Link to this post 3 days ago

You have to have special talents to get your Linux infected with a virus.

Linux has seven layers of protection (at least) and the only real risk is you, the user. As long as you:

• only install from official safe repositories

• not work in root

• not download and install from third parties

• hardened your browser

there is no need fo using an AV.

Avast! That is BANNED from my physical address as it hogs resources AND had been found containing spyware/phishing stuff in the past.

Finally, Linux is not safer because of a smaller installed base globally but rather because of how it works.

Prey works well on Linux Mint and on my Android phone.

I have used and trusted avast on windows and now on Macs. Since I have been using it, never encountered a virus.

Never needed antivirus for Linux. The only serious threats that I have heard was the shellshock and the heartbleed threat. That does not mean Linux is untouchable. It means it knows how a system can be compromised.

That being said, there is no such thing as too much security. I don't like taking chances. Use what you believe helps. Learn from Linux about how to be a responsible systems operator.

Link to this post 2 days ago

I really do not think that a single connected Windows installation exists, that does not also have an infection of some sort. Such is the nature of Windows. If Avast! did not detect any, it does not mean that your computer is clean but rather just that Avast! could not detect it.

After a career in ICT going back to 1982, I am sure I have a few stories to tell. Provenm over time, Avast, Norton & Kaspersky are time wasters and, in my experience, sometimes worse than most viruses would have been. If you really want to test a Windows installation, use Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner.

There is not a single AV in the Windows orbit that can detect ALL malware. Therefore, none are good enough to give 100% confidence. Even a combination of three or four of the very best won't be able to detect all.

I have found a plethora of viruses on computers that were declared "clean" by Norton, for instance. In one instance, Norton failed to even see 54 out of 58 infections on a sensitive government computer and could also not clean the four that it did see.

Mac: only about 40 viruses exist for that platform and infection is highly unlikely. My son, however is a sound engineer, lighting director and VJ. Some American DJ sends him tech riders and media content before his visit to our shores, so that my son can prepare the VJ effects in Resolume Arena on his Mac. 41 malware infections further, I think he owns the saddest Mac on my continent. He even needed to do a clean install once. The only AV that could detect, yet not clean, was Bitdefender.

The infections get removed manually every time, just the way I had cleaned infections manually from deep within system registry in Windows back then.

Because of how I use my computer, I really do not risk malware infection BUT then I choose to err on the safe side and I do have ClamAV installed together with LMD. Take a look at LMD here:

Your text to link here...

Link to this post 2 days ago

Having you around will be useful.

If I understand you correctly, there really isn't a reliable virus scanner to detect all possible viruses on a computer. You have mentioned that you have used "Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner" to test a windows installation. Are they capable of detecting every known threat that can compromise a Windows computer.

Instead you had to manually remove such threats by digging deep into the core of the system and the registry. How did you remove them?

It is sound that just because an AV did not detect a threat, does not mean there isn't one. Does not matter how many AVs you run, you still won't get them all. My question is, are those non-removeable threats really threats?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board