Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop Linux Desktop Wishlist

Linux Desktop Wishlist

Link to this post 22 Apr 09

If you like the pretty and simple window manager, then I would like to recommend for you to try Enlightenment DR17, it is only a beta, but it has great potential.

If your application desires are beyond the current capabilities/features of opensource applications then you are always free to recommend changes to the development teams or better yet submit an update to the application which will add those capabilities.

Per my knowledge apt-spy currently points to the best debian mirrors, not ubuntu. I think it would be a good idea to contact cannonical to ask them to modify the the functionality of apt-spy within their distro to utilize a list of ubunut specific repos and even give an application option in gnome to allow users to trigger it through the gui.

By then again I use Slackware and don't touch gnome, gnome based apps or even the apt system, so an advanced ubuntu user is welcome to pitch in and correct me if necessary.

Link to this post 22 Apr 09

Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go.

Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.

Link to this post 23 Apr 09

I think you could have distilled your post down to two items.

1. More windows support.
2. More eye candy.

These are pretty low priorities on my list.

Supporting more lame video players, when there are several that work very well, is a super low priority, and will remain so. Let those players die out from lack of a user base.

Several of the features for individual desktop apps you mentioned are already under development or deployed.

Hey. To each his own...

I think being able to watch all web-based video (ABC,ESPN360,Netflix) is pretty important in getting more users. I think eye candy is also important for this. Perhaps what we disagree on is whether linux really needs these types of users... I am guessing you think, no.

Khabi wrote:

Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go.

Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.

Is this the way VMWare does it? I am worried about robust the mapping of direct3d to opengl is. We all that lots of windows games don't work in wine for example. VMWare's implementation seems pretty robust, though.

jdeslip,
In response to the previous discussion about spt-spy, it looks like Ubuntu has it's own implementation.

[ol][li]Go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources[/li]
[li]on the ubuntu Sfotware tab go to the "Download from" drop down box[/li]
[li]Choose Other[/li]
[li]Click on the "Select Best Server" Button[/li]
[li]When the search is done click on "Choose Server"[/li]
[/ol]

As for the opinions about the desired user base. I have spent some time helping others on IRC boards, forums and in person with Linux related issues, in which I expect that a certain amount or research has been done prior to asking for help. The users who want the aesthetics and high multimedia benefits will most likely be so used to the point and click style that they will not take the time to research, or even state that distribution and window manager they are using, they will expect the open source community to fix their problems with insufficient information which will drive many like myself away from the free support venues.
It would be beneficial to have their numbers push us to a higher market share, however the potential decrease in free support communities can hurt our cause more than helping us.
To obtain the users you want I would greatly recommend that the support vendors who will be tasked with helping those users and stand the greatest benefit from that user base contribute to the appropriate development teams to lure those users to Linux

At this point my time and money is being spent on getting the capabilities that I want and need, not pushing to fulfill the expectations of windows and mac users. I have nothing to gain from them but headaches, which I won't accept unless properly compensated.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board