Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop PNG files not recognized in GNOME in Centos 5.4

PNG files not recognized in GNOME in Centos 5.4

Link to this post 19 Jan 10

Guys you are my last resort, I've posted that on few forums but there were no response. Any ideas?

I am running CentOS 5.4 and the following error started out of the blue:

COULDN'T RECOGNIZE THE IMAGE FILE FORMAT FOR THE FILE '/USR/SHARE/GDM/THEMES/TREEFLOWER/BACKGROUND.PNG

THERE WAS AN ERROR LOADING THE THEME AND THE DEFAULT THEME COULD NOT BE LOADED. ATEMPTING TO START THE STANDARD GREETER.

If I choose GNOME and login I get more errors (for every icon I guess) saying:

COULD NOT LOAD ICON. UNRECOGNIZED FILE FORMAT.

Desktop then loads but there is no background image (other backgrounds don't work either) and instead off the icons there are question marks. All the menus and programs work normally.

KDE on the other hand works normally with all visuals, so I assume there must be something wrong with GNOME PNG library or something, maybe GNOME corruption. If I make another user it's the same story.

I mostly use the machine for web hosting (Xammp for Linux), however I made some other customizations. Is there a way to reinstall (repair) Centos to keep all the settings and folders?

THX

I checked if I can open the file(s) that supposedly cannot be recognized and I actually CAN open all the PNG's. Like I said, if I choose KDE as GUI the desktop shows all the graphic. But this first error actually shows before the login window (the window where you can choose user for login and type of GUI) so the problem must be in Centos SHELL (X, nautilus), not GNOME. Sorry for inacurate terms.

To me it sounds like whatever libraries that GDM or gnome is attempting to use are having problems reading the png formats. if you can start from the shell, open multiple sessions, start one session to the GUI, then move to the other session then you can run lsof and ps -A to track running apps and files at the time of the error to track it back to the source.

@mfillpot

Thanks for the quick reply. I am afraid I am not so advanced in Linux to do many stunts :) If I understood you correctly you want me to run two sessions one with GUI, one with console. The problem is that the error occurs before the login window (where I can choose the type of session) and I think that CentOS doesn't allow multiple sessions out of the box:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/forums/showthread.php/19413-Centos-5-4-need-multi-user-gui-%28Gnome-or-KDE%29

I can post screenshots of the error later if it will help.

Link to this post 20 Jan 10

The screenshots will help.

Per my understanding all Linux distros are capable of running multiple sessions. I will install centos in a VM tonight to asses the capabilities and see if I can give you a step by step for this issue. What version of centos are you using?

Link to this post 20 Jan 10

I am really grateful for your effort and anything that you'll be able to dig out will be of help. Will post the screenshots in two hours when I get home.

I am running Centos 5.4 x86_64 >>> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/x86_64/

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board