I posted the video of the whole bootup on the following link:
1. At 1:29 I get the following error:
COULDN'T RECOGNIZE THE IMAGE FILE FORMAT FOR THE FILE '/USR/SHARE/GDM/THEMES/TREEFLOWER/BACKGROUND.PNG
which is immediately followed by:
THERE WAS AN ERROR LOADING THE THEME AND THE DEFAULT THEME COULD NOT BE LOADED. ATEMPTING TO START THE STANDARD GREETER.
2. At 1:43 a login windows appear where you choose the user and the type of logon (terminal, KDE, GNOME) Default is GNOME
3. At 2:13 GNOME Loads with no background, question marks for icons in the upper taskbar, and improper icons on the desktop.
4. At 2:30 I Log out of GNOME
5. At 2:34 when the white X appears, the system freezes until I move the mouse (I don't know what caused that either)
6. At 2:44 The errors from step 1 reappear
7. At 2:50 This time I choose KDE as GUI and everything works like it used to in GNOME
8. At 3:38 I logout again, the system freezes until I move the mouse, then I get the same errors from step 1
That's all. I apologize for the crappy video and no talking.