Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop PNG files not recognized in GNOME in Centos 5.4

PNG files not recognized in GNOME in Centos 5.4

Link to this post 20 Jan 10

I posted the video of the whole bootup on the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVSMM-132R0

1. At 1:29 I get the following error:

COULDN'T RECOGNIZE THE IMAGE FILE FORMAT FOR THE FILE '/USR/SHARE/GDM/THEMES/TREEFLOWER/BACKGROUND.PNG

which is immediately followed by:

THERE WAS AN ERROR LOADING THE THEME AND THE DEFAULT THEME COULD NOT BE LOADED. ATEMPTING TO START THE STANDARD GREETER.

2. At 1:43 a login windows appear where you choose the user and the type of logon (terminal, KDE, GNOME) Default is GNOME

3. At 2:13 GNOME Loads with no background, question marks for icons in the upper taskbar, and improper icons on the desktop.

4. At 2:30 I Log out of GNOME

5. At 2:34 when the white X appears, the system freezes until I move the mouse (I don't know what caused that either)

6. At 2:44 The errors from step 1 reappear

7. At 2:50 This time I choose KDE as GUI and everything works like it used to in GNOME

8. At 3:38 I logout again, the system freezes until I move the mouse, then I get the same errors from step 1

That's all. I apologize for the crappy video and no talking.

Link to this post 20 Jan 10

This is how the desktop shouldn't look like:

Link to this post 21 Jan 10

Sorry for the delay, it took a while to download the 64-bit iso for installation, I am installing it now.

I don't know how comfortable you are with Linux based systems, but have you looked at the log files to see if anything was noted about this problem?

To start off, I haven't seen an OS start as slow as centos since win 95.

Here is a way to see if you can get the error indicator from the X11 session.

1. open a terminal
2. type "su -" in the terminal, this will ask for your root password, this logs you in as the root user in the terminal.
3. type "init 3", this will reboot the system in multi-user cli mode.
4. log in as root or a normal user, it does't matter.
5. type "startx", to boot a GUI
6. as long as the errors populated you can then log out of the gui.
7. after it closes you will see the error and action messages from your gui session on the screen, most likely you will see a reference to whatever failed.

mfillpot wrote:

Sorry for the delay, it took a while to download the 64-bit iso for installation, I am installing it now.

No problem, it's you who are doing me a favor.

I don't know how comfortable you are with Linux based systems, but have you looked at the log files to see if anything was noted about this problem?

I must admit that I didn't check the logs but I will know where to look for them. Otherwise I belong to group of Linux users who can comfortably live with Linux instead of Windows, however I don't know the shell commands off hand :)

mfillpot wrote:

To start off, I haven't seen an OS start as slow as centos since win 95.

I am glad you like it already ;) If you are wondering - the machine is a new dual core duron around 2GHZ, with 1GB of RAM with 2 WD320 HDisks in software raid. Not ideal but it's doing the trick.

I will try to look in the logs (any logs that I should pay a special attention to) and try what you suggested in terminal and will get back to you after 4pm. My Timezone is GMT+1. Thanks for the info

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board