Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.

The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.

Link to this post 15 May 10

I started and still using Gnome, can't imagine myself using KDE, not right now.

Friends don't let friends use gnome.

I left KDE over a year ago, and have found Gnome to be a great DE. While helping someone with a sound problem on another forum recently, I've also realized that even when using KDE 4.4.3, Gnome was easier to configure. I'm hoping Gnome learned from the mistakes of KDE, and, when Gnome 3 is released, it's functionality doesn't degrade like when KDE4 was released, but only time will tell. Right now, I'm perfectly happy with Gnome.

Link to this post 16 May 10

Just wait for the new window manager additions in Gnome3, I can definitely see it becoming more user unfriendly than the first release of KDE4.

I too am skeptical of many changes done in Gnome 3, but I think the transition will go more smooth than the transition from KDE 3 to KDE 4. Notable differences include that applications won't need any rewriting from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3, and the desktop components used in Gnome 2 will be available upstream for some time after Gnome 3 is released - so it seems like the Gnome camp is going for more of an evolutionary than revolutionary approach. See this page for more information:
http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths

I currently have Gnome Shell running on Fedora 13. Running may be the wrong word since at the moment it is incredibly unstable. But, at least one can see where they're going. I'm more interested in how configurable it will be, so, I'm going to keep my eye on it. I've been running Gnome for about a year now, and it's still is easier to work with than KDE 4.4. I was helping someone configure the sound in Skype the other day, and, I was amazed that there were so many tools still missing from KDE4. Hopefully the Gnome folks have learned from KDE's mistakes, and, from articles I've read, it seems they have. What Linux doesn't need, and, what I don't need, is another solid DE going unstable and less configurable. I don't need eye candy replacing practicality. Hopefully Gnome won't disappoint me the way KDE did, hopefully.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board