Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.

The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.

Link to this post 18 May 10

I only ever go KDE.

But Gnome is good too. It seams to use less recourses and its interface is more simple. Basically less options which helps the average user out.

When KDE 4.0 came out i almost stopped using it. But it has gotten a lot better.

When using VNC I will got xfce. Love that sucker. Debating using it for my workstation desktop because my computer is crappy at work and kinda what something faster. Then again i rarely use VNC. I mean ssh with X11Forwarding does the trick.

But in the end I always say "If it ain't broke dont fix it." KDE works for me and I will keep using it till it stops.

Link to this post 18 May 10

Well, to me i'ts clear: KDE

And why so? If feels teamed up, polished, thought as a whole. Gnome feels (to me) like a bunch of apps put alltogheter with a nice look and feel.

The KIO slaves, the Kparts,the phonon system... everything *is part* of a whole desktop, not just an app the integrates well.

Not to mention that I usually change many of the default configs, which would be awful in Gnome(I know it is possible although painfully slow)

Don't get me wrong, Gnome is great I was using it for some time while the KDEPIM suit wasn't ported to KDE4 but... it just doesn't feel right for me ;)

Link to this post 19 May 10

I agree with Marc. I am a primary KDE and xfce user. Those DEs feel very complete and are built to work without too many outside modifications.

Gnome too me also seems like it is a partial framework that requires mounds of third-party additions to make it function the way I like. Being a Slackware user that dislikes dependencies and extra package complexity it seems unnecessary.

So KDE for me, at least until Enlightenment 17 is stable and released ;)

mfillpot wrote:

I agree with Marc. I am a primary KDE and xfce user. Those DEs feel very complete and are built to work without too many outside modifications.

Gnome too me also seems like it is a partial framework that requires mounds of third-party additions to make it function the way I like. Being a Slackware user that dislikes dependencies and extra package complexity it seems unnecessary.

So KDE for me, at least until Enlightenment 17 is stable and released ;)

I too am still waiting on a decent Enlightenment release :P

I too am still waiting on a decent Enlightenment release

Get in the line! ;)

marc wrote:

[quote]
I too am still waiting on a decent Enlightenment release

Get in the line! ;)[/quote]

The latest updates have been very promising, once they get better compatability with KDE and gtk based apps I will have more confidence in enlightenment, I think it will be the window manager of the future.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board