Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.

The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.

Link to this post 07 Jun 09

First of all, I'm a Gnome person. I like KDE, I really do; but for some reason I just... can't get comfortable with it.

I don't know, I'm not even Mac-ish in nature. I don't like two-taskbars and such and for some reason I still like Gnome and xcfe4.

What is the mass' opinions?

Link to this post 08 Jun 09

Gossamer wrote:

First of all, I'm a Gnome person. I like KDE, I really do; but for some reason I just... can't get comfortable with it.

I don't know, I'm not even Mac-ish in nature. I don't like two-taskbars and such and for some reason I still like Gnome and xcfe4.

What is the mass' opinions?

Between the two, I'll take Gnome. There are things I don't like about it, but for a comprehensive, integrated desktop, I'll take it. If I'm low on computing power or network throughput, Fluxbox is my choice. When I tried XFCE, it seemed to me to be slightly more capable than fluxbox/blackbox, and much less capable than Gnome/KDE, so I've never really used it again. Although I do love the Terminal that comes with XFCE.

Link to this post 02 Jul 09

I don't know if it's just me, but GNOME just works more efficiently (out of the box, at least). But I do like the aesthetics of KDE slightly more than GNOME. If only there was a way to mash them together...

Link to this post 03 Jul 09

I'm definitely a GNOME person.
Gnome seems to be much more simple and straight forward. And Gnome-Do is the best thing that ever happend to computing! not really but..

Gnome + Linux Mint. There is my flavour of Linux.

Link to this post 07 Jul 09

LOL, this thread should be called Qt vs. Gtk.

however, i prefer gnome for quite good computers and Xfce (Fluxbox / Lxde) for oldiest ones.

i should try Kde 4 one day.

Link to this post 10 Jul 09

Easy. I use Openbox as window manager. And lxpanel as panel. So yeah the panel is from a DE already.

Then.. I use K3b for CD burning, Konqueror as a light browser, Dolphin as file manager, Ktorrent as torrent client, Ark as archiver, Gwenview as picture viewer, Kwrite as text editor. Thats for KDE (4.2.4).

Then I use pidgin for messaging (that can be gnome,xfce,whatever, gtk), claws-mail for email (gtk), monodevelop as IDE (gnome), Gedit sometimes for text editing (Gnome), Xchat (gtk), Gimp (GTK)..

You know.. I don't really care about such stuff. I always try to use KDE as base , and some GTK stuff as support apps, and if I REALLY need..then I install a gnome app with a hell of dependencies (yeah I hate gnome, so i cant really help it.. I struggled with it for months when KDE 4.0.0 came out).

So what I want to say? Even with this much "cross-app", I only get ~200mb or ~300/400mb memory usage. What is... OK I think. Even if I got 2 "workspace" full... :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board