Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop VoIP on Linux? (Skype sold to Microsoft)

VoIP on Linux? (Skype sold to Microsoft)

Link to this post 13 May 11

Thanks Marc for that explanation, I wasn't aware of that, good to know.

Link to this post 13 May 11

marc wrote:

[b]mfillpot wrote:[/b]
[quote]I have already taken action and cancelled my skype account along with removing it from all of my machines.

That sounds like a bit radical, doesn't it? :)

I have been having pretty good experiences with googletalk's voice and video chat services, they only work with
googletalk users but the quality is pretty good.

Are you sure of that?

Won't it work with any jabber/xmpp user?

Regards[/quote]

I only used skype once for a single conversation, beyond that other tools have fit the need better. So, complete removal won't inconvenience me at all. I am very picky about not using any ms based software on my Linux installation including novel's attempted implementations due to too many bad experiences with their software, since skype will soon be in the same group it is a cautious move.

Honestly I don't talk to anyone with a jabber or xmpp account so I have not been able to test the voice and video chat under those services, thanks for catching my typo.

Link to this post 14 May 11

marc wrote:

Ekiga is centralized whereas skype is distributed.

The only opensource solution that works similar to skype is xmpp/jingle and it lacks the ability to call real phones (outside the US that is)

Ok I did not know that.

Is there any xmpp/jingle client available?

Edit:

I did find http://jitsi.org/ maybe a good alternative?

asedt wrote:

I did find http://jitsi.org/ maybe a good alternative?

There's many:

Gajim
Psi (voice)
Empathy
Pidgin
Jitsi

And probably more

Regards

PS: jitsi is java based and I find those kind of apps to be SLOW

Well, now that I finally got Skype to work on my SL6 Linux system, I have been able to easily communicate with clients world-wide, even conference calls. It is really useful for that! Also, I talk (voice and video) with my family in Mexico, business associates in California and Brazil, my Little Brother in New Hampshire, and a young college student in Boston whom I am mentoring! It really is convenient. Switching them all over to google-talk is going to be a process. My mentored student in Boston is already on gmail/google-talk so we will probably start off the process of using it and seeing if it will work for my other frequent contacts. Then I can start nudging them in that direction. As I said in my previous post, changing people's habits (even one's own) is difficult! :-)

woboyle wrote:

changing people's habits (even one's own) is difficult! :-)

That is indeed true!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board