Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop VoIP on Linux? (Skype sold to Microsoft)

VoIP on Linux? (Skype sold to Microsoft)

Link to this post 15 May 11

Skype voice has worked for me on fedora, video not. Since I can use Google Talk, at least for me, the Skype habit is no monkey on my back (heh). I set up an ekiga acct, now, when my work schedule eases up a bit, I think I'll experiment with that first. Jitsi also looks interesting, it has nightly builds in rpm form, that might be my next experiment. I'm also going to watch what progress Google makes with its voice/talk app.

Link to this post 16 May 11

All,

I just ran across this article today and it lists a couple of other alternatives not mentioned yet. Personally, I don't use anything more complicated than text-only IM (i'd just use Unix talk if i could get away with it). but maybe this will be of use to somebody.

http://dasublogbyprashanth.blogspot.com/2011/05/practical-alternatives-to-skype-for-me.html

Link to this post 20 May 11

That does look interesting, must keep an eye on it for the future. P2P conference ability, unlimited (although one wonders what the true limits are). Hmmm.

Link to this post 20 May 11

Goineasy9 wrote:

That does look interesting, must keep an eye on it for the future. P2P conference ability, unlimited (although one wonders what the true limits are). Hmmm.

Your connections is probably going to hit the limits way earlier than your system resources ;)

Haven't ever tested the software though...

Regards

Link to this post 23 Jul 11

Actually there is already partiality between Windows Skype VS. Linux Skype versions !

Do you agree ?

Here are the things I found, eventually lead to this conclusion:
* Windows Skype version is far more updated and works smoother (I mean CPU/RAM utilization).
* Linux Skype version is crazy at times. In my Fedora laptop, upon starting skype it first utilizes all the RAM, then almost freezes. This happens 3 times for every 5 attempts.
* Also Linux skype lacks many features. Linux version offers basic features and not like Windows version.

This is the situation of Skype past 6-8 month. So now since M'Soft aquired Skype, ...
I am least expecting in future skype is really bothered about skype Linux releases ?

I foresee Google may dominate skype very easily.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board