Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop VoIP on Linux? (Skype sold to Microsoft)

VoIP on Linux? (Skype sold to Microsoft)

Link to this post 23 Jul 11

We've already used the video conference calling function of Google+ that is called "Hangouts". There is no more need for Skype. At least for those of us in the Google Talk universe. Once this feature is available worldwide, I think Skype will wither. This usually happens when Microsoft buys a technology anyway, it's not like it wasn't expected.

Goineasy9 wrote:

We've already used the video conference calling function of Google+ that is called "Hangouts". There is no more need for Skype. At least for those of us in the Google Talk universe. Once this feature is available worldwide, I think Skype will wither. This usually happens when Microsoft buys a technology anyway, it's not like it wasn't expected.

Based upon google's policies on google+, skype and facebook cannot be completely smashed. The 18+ rule will leave many teenagers who love social networking in the dark, which is where facebook and skype will retain their user base.

mfillpot wrote:

The 18+ rule will leave many teenagers who love social networking in the dark, which is where facebook and skype will retain their user base.

may be. But, before 18, if they afford to do video chat, then it wont take much time to give a wrong DOB and just proceed with hangouts.

In fedora I used one video chat program long back. But, it was crashed frequently . According to me, skype in Microsoft hand is like, flower in Monkey hand . Skype reputation is going to reduce among the people and this is a expected one as goingEasy9 mentioned.

Who knows, kernel 3.0 may has inbuilt substitute for skype B) .

Link to this post 24 Jul 11

I didn't realize they had an 18+ rule. Using Circles that may not affect what we use Google+ for, since our streams aren't walls and are only visible to those we choose. It is an interesting rule, as was said, they could just lie about their age. It'll be interesting how Google patrols this.

For calling landline phones I like Jajah. You log on at their web site and type in your friend's phone number. I few seconds later, your phone rings. It's Jajah, connecting your call. Local on both ends and VOIP in between. And if your friend has a Jajah account, all the calls between you are free. Pretty cool!

It's especially good for really old fashioned people who hate gadgets and gizmos. The only way I could get my grandparents to use a cell phone was to give them this one (attached)!

Jajah looks interesting, I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the link.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board