Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Desktop Whats the best OS for us

Whats the best OS for us

Link to this post 18 May 10

A local chapter of Habitat for Humanity was given a computer without an OS. We want to make a slide show presentation in our window for people to see what we do on two different monitors. What would the best OS we could download for this and what would be the best program on the OS to do this?

Thanks

Link to this post 18 May 10

Ubuntu or Mint are great distros for first timers and OpenOffice Impress would probably be the best app to do a slide show.

http://www.openoffice.org/product/impress.html

Ubuntu and Mint are the easiest to install, especially if there is no operating system on the computer. Check out the link I gave you above, the application is free, and, if you want to experiment with it, there is even a Windows version if you don't have a Linux computer already set up.

BTW - If you are asking if the two different monitors can show 2 different displays, instead of a single presentation across 2 monitors, that's a bit more difficult, but probably could be done with a little bit of configuration.

Link to this post 23 May 10

We are doing the same display on two different monitors. I have the cable for it. I also forgot to mention its an old computer. I has millennium on it for goodness sake. I dont really know the spec but will ubuntu work with that probably? Or do I need some really old version or will a live disk be able to do the display?

Link to this post 23 May 10

enwhaccount wrote:

I also forgot to mention its an old computer. I has millennium on it for goodness sake. I dont really know the spec but will ubuntu work with that probably? Or do I need some really old version or will a live disk be able to do the display?
That shouldn't be a problem, there's always some Linux distribution that fits the bill ;-)

According to the official system requirements, they recommend the following specs for an Ubuntu desktop installation:[ul][li]1 GHz x86 processor[/li][li]512 MiB of system memory (RAM)[/li][li]5 GB of disk space[/li][li]Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024x768[/li][/ul]
They also have a version called Xubuntu, which is tailored for older systems:[ul][li]256 MiB of system memory (RAM)[/li][li]2 GB of disk space[/li][li]Graphics card and monitor capable of 800x600 resolution[/li][/ul]
If your computer is even older, you could try Linux distributions like Puppy Linux instead:

Puppy has been tested on a very old machines but the best results for the standard release of Puppy Linux to run at a reasonable pace have been achieved with the following:

CPU : Pentium 166MMX
RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run; 64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
Hard Drive : Optional
CDROM : 20x and up

Link to this post 29 May 10

I think knoppix or DSL will do a great job. But if you want to have good graphics then go with fedora or Mandriva, they are easy to use in the live cd mode

Link to this post 29 May 10

DSL worked pretty well on an old 486 DX2 :D

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board