Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Drivers Ibook G4, no sound, poor video performance, Lubuntu 13.04

Ibook G4, no sound, poor video performance, Lubuntu 13.04

Link to this post 27 Apr 13

Hello all

I recently came into a 12" ibook g4, 512mb ram, 40gb drive, combo optical, 1.33ghz cpu & built in airport extreme. As you all know, mac os X leopard (10.5.8) is getting a bit long in the tooth and so I decided to install linux (lubuntu 12.10, then from there distro upgraded to 13.04) to squeeze a bit more life out of this good old machine. When the installation finished, I discovered that wifi and sound didn't work. I managed to fix the former but the latter still persists. I've looked through the extensive documentation on ubuntu's site as well as a site called "powerpc liberation" which is where I found the wifi fix. Both sites gave ways to fix the non-functioning sound and poor performing video. Some of which I tried but I either didn't do it right or wasn't the solution for my model. But most of it was just so far above my head that I didn't dare try for fear of screwing the system up. SOOOOOOOOOOO =] here are the url's to the sites I visited to try and fix my problem: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#Will_my_wireless_work.3F
http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.com/2012/10/lubuntu-install-guide.html

lol (scratches head) can ya help me make a bit of sense out of all this? if someone could walk me through this I would be very greatful.

thank you for your time.

Link to this post 04 May 13

Hey Broyl,

Sorry for the horrible response time. I have to admit, this seems a bit daunting, but maybe I can help.

So, to start off with, what fixes did you try? And how did you do it? All the details you can muster, please.

Then, which didn't you try? Maybe I can help walk you through the steps.

Again, I am sorry for the long wait, and I hope that I can help.

Izzy

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board