Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Drivers Looking for a Laptop

Looking for a Laptop

Link to this post 10 Aug 11

@arochester Is it easy enough for a novice like myself to install Linux and use it without major problems?

GpD79 wrote:

@arochester Is it easy enough for a novice like myself to install Linux and use it without major problems?

It should be pretty straighforward with any of the "user friendly" distros like Opensuse,Ubuntu, Fedora,etc . If it's going to be your only OS it'll probably be really easy and you'll be up and running in less than half an hour :)

Regards

You have a long list here:

http://linuxpreloaded.com/

It's worth checking out and it also list shipping information.

Link to this post 26 Aug 11

I know everyone is posting linux pre-loaded links, however since price and quality both matter, I have had a great experience with newegg.com

You won't get a linux pre-loaded laptop but you will get a great one at a great price. I bought the Toshiba Satellite C655 and dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11,04

Ubuntu found all my drivers and was easy as ever to install, Windows of course made me go hunting on the toshiba website. However the physical product itself is amazing and you should consider getting one yourself. It has the new B940 intel processor 2 ghz dual core x64. The battery lasts very well for a full blown screen, it has a full keyboard with the 10 number key pad as well. It also has a very good cooling design, I have not yet felt it even get "hot" or "warm". It also comes with a 500 gig hard drive which allows me plenty of space.

newegg.com check it out B)

Link to this post 11 Sep 11

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I was thinking the same thing as you Richard Sims. I'm definitely going to go that route Richard.

I was on the phone with someone from HP and I was asking for an NVIDIA graphics card. He stated that NVIDIA is not compatible with Linux. Is that true?

Link to this post 11 Sep 11

Actually Nvidia is probably the most compatible with Linux. Someone at HP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board