Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Drivers Looking for a Laptop

Looking for a Laptop

Link to this post 13 Oct 11

I agree, I have used Ubuntu and Fedora with both ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards. NVidia is much more stable although they seem to have worked out the kinks lately for ATI, still; If your looking for compatability, nvidia is your best bet.

Link to this post 13 Oct 11

Rule #1 Don't buy a laptop made by hp.

Rule #2 Don't buy a laptop made by hp.

Rule #3 Don't buy a laptop made by hp.

I'd also be a bit hesitant in getting a laptop with Nvidia. Nvidia in the past has produced some really great graphics chips that work better with linux than other GPU manufactures, but the recent fiasco and dishonesty from Nvidia. Leaves me looking at other GPU manufactures.

I'll be glad when the day comes when we can build our own laptops. I build and rebuild my own desktops, and would never buy a desktop because it's so much better to build them than to buy them. Laptops are still quite proprietary. Laptops are being designed for people that don't know anything about computers, so when those of us that are well familiar with computers looks for a laptop, they are all disappointing, as they are not designed with good standards.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Link to this post 01 Jan 12

Because Ipads are proprietary and more expensive.

Also as to the original question of looking for a laptop without any software installed,,,, With what little software is actually put on computers anymore, and with the advertisements that software companies pay them to put on the laptops, you are only looking at about $50.00 in cost of laptop going to software, if that much. So finding a laptop without any software installed to try to save money, is not going to save you much money. And if you do save any money the savings will be less than the cost of the software.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com

I don't understand the above statement of not buying HP products. For laptops, HP, ASUS, and Toshiba make great products.

Hp has made some bad laptops and has been the most dishonest about it. Because hp has had so many consumer complaints and law suits, they decided to get out of the personal computer market. There is talk that they might have changed their mind on that.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Ah, a bunch of new replies to old postings... :-)

Anyway, for a Linux laptop, I have to recommend www.zareason.com - they only sell Linux systems (many choices of pre-installed distributions). They have netbooks, laptops, workstations, and servers. They are located in Berkeley, California. Great folks, and will help you as much as possible to make your Linux experience a good one. All of their hardware will work "out-of-the-box" with Linux.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board