Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Drivers Realtek RTL8139/810x F and Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Realtek RTL8139/810x F and Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Link to this post 08 Jun 09

thehappypenguin wrote:

Thanks Gossamer, but how do i access the windows drivers from Mandriva?
And what do you mean by repositries (sorry, but I'm new to linux)

Actually, the same you would with Windows. As it turns out the broadcom drivers don't actually install, they just extract.

See windows would normally just let you locate the drivers via device manager, that location of course would be the place you extracted the files.

Basically this is the same-game. You go to broadcom's site, locate your hardware and download the driver for it. Then use wine to extract the files.

YOU DO happen to have a different card than I do, however the premise is still the same, ndiswrapper works on tons of hardware including stubborn old hardware and devices that aren't so Linux friendly.

Link to this post 09 Jun 09

thehappypenguin wrote:

Thanks Gossamer, but how do i access the windows drivers from Mandriva?
And what do you mean by repositries (sorry, but I'm new to linux)

With newer distributions such as yours, you do NOT want to run the ndiswrapper driver; however, you likely need to install the firmware for the card. This is found in the .sys file for your broadcom chipset. You can get it from your wireless installation disc or download it from broadcom's web site. After you do that, you need to extract the firmware components and install them in (usually) /lib/firmware. The tool to do that for Mandriva is found here: http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/rpms/Application/bcm43xx-fwcutter

Link to this post 09 Jun 09

alright thanks for the help gossamer and rubbemaid

Link to this post 20 Aug 09

I ran into this problem on my Laptop with Fedora 11, with the b43 chipset..

What I did, was I used fwcutter, got the firmware and installed it that way, works amazingly..

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board