Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Fedora How do I install Nvidia drivers

How do I install Nvidia drivers

Link to this post 31 Jan 10

How do I install the nvidia drivers for Fedora 11?

First thing we need to know is what card your using. If you don't know what Nvidia card your using we can find out by doing in a terminal:

lspci | grep VGA

I know you told me in the other thread that the new kernel came in when you tried to install kmod-nvidia, so that is the most recent kernel. But you might want to do an update just to make sure that everything else is up to date also. We don't want to have to restore nouveau again because we're using an older version of something needed to set up the nvidia graphics.

In a terminal, Applications-->System Tools-->Terminal, do:
su (hit enter)
enter your root password, hit enter
then type "yum update" (without quotes) and press enter again
Then hit "y" when it prompts you and let your machine update.

When that's completed, let me know what the output from the lspci command is and we can continue.

P.S. It might take a while if you haven't updated that machine yet.

Here is the output (yay I can copy and paste again!)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

I hesitate to do an entire machine update as I only have 1.6 GB free (I have 2.2 GB of unallocated disk space but the palmdisk disk utility does not allow me to expand my /(root) partition.

Another note: the nvida driver has left some nvidia utilities on my system such as NVIDIA X server settings.

ps It's 11:45 pm here in the eastern US time zone so I'll be off to bed soon.

I'm in the Eastern time zone also, so bedtime is indeed near. I understand about your lack of disk space, let me see if I can figure out what is needed so we can narrow it down. Plus, I think I know why your last attempt failed. You have an older Nvidia card that needs an older driver. So, if you want, we'll continue tomorrow or at a later date. I'll post again after I look up some things.
See you soon.

p.s. don't worry about nvidia settings.

Link to this post 01 Feb 10

Sorry I got a little delayed with my posting.

Your video card requires the 173 driver, so, if you want to try, here goes.

From a terminal:

su (press enter)
put in you user password (press enter)
yum install kmod-nvidia-173xx xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173xx-libs.i586

To make sure that the new kernel blocks nouveau do:

dir /etc/modprobe.d/ 

and see if the file blacklist-nouveau.conf is there. If it isn't do:

nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

and add "blacklist nouveau" (without quotes) to the empty file. Then save the file with ctrl-x and then answer "y"

then reboot

That's all it takes. Now, if it fails to work, it could be due to the machine needing to be updated, or, we could get rid of the new kernel, and install nvidia drivers on the old kernel. We won't know until you try.

If it doesn't work you can always use the four commands at the end of the last thread to bring nouveau back. Let me know how you do.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board