Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Fedora How do I install Nvidia drivers

How do I install Nvidia drivers

Link to this post 01 Feb 10

Thanks it worked Great!. I got the Fedora cube now :).

Link to this post 01 Feb 10

Excellent, have fun.

Link to this post 13 Feb 10

I prefer to install the drive myself. So, knowing what my card is,
1)I download the excellent driver from nVidia.com.

2)Then I do ctrl+alt+2 for ttyl2 (which is a command terminal, full screen).

3)I then log into root.

4)I immediately type init 3 (this will kill everything that is up in your GUI, close unneeded programs).

note: Right now is a good time to backup your xrog.conf file (it controls your general driver settings).
Go to /etc/X11/ and do a cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup
This will backup your xorg.conf file to xorg.conf.backup

4)I then go to the place on the hard drive where the driver is. (Usually /home/*Your User*/Downloads)

5) I then chmod 777 the drive (not needed, you can do a chmod 700) - this is to give it excute permissions.

6) I then do a ./*driver name* (this is like typing in *program*.exe in Windows command prompt)

7) I follow the directions, if there is problems it will auto-abort. I usually install the 32-bit libraries so that I don't have to install them later.

8) After install I reboot the computer if it doesn't automatically

9a) During reboot, pay attention to the boot log by pressing on the down arrow when you see the Fedora Logo.
9b) Open /var/logs/boot.log

note: If the driver fails and your desktop looks like crap, replace the xorg.conf with xorg.conf.backup by doing a
cp xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf
This will overwrite your xorg.conf file.

10) I then test to make sure the 3d effects are working by going to a Terminal and running glxgears.
If the program comes up and runs - great. If not go through your boot.log and your nvidia-install.log.

Link to this post 13 Feb 10

Installing the Nvidia driver from their source might work well on some distros, but, it is the easiest way to bork graphics in Fedora. Especially since Fedora now ties the Nouveau driver so tightly into it's kernel.

Link to this post 14 Feb 10

Goineasy9 wrote:

Installing the Nvidia driver from their source might work well on some distros, but, it is the easiest way to bork graphics in Fedora. Especially since Fedora now ties the Nouveau driver so tightly into it's kernel.

I agree with you... I just managed to make it all go up in flames after installing drivers from RPMFusion. :angry:

Link to this post 14 Feb 10

Well, when installing the drivers from rpmfusion, you have to go through all 4 steps that also blacklist nouveau and add an option for the same to the kernel line in grub.conf. You also have to make sure the rpmfusion drivers that you install match the kernel you are using, whether x86, x86_PAE or x86_64, and, match the nvidia card model.

We have a thread on how to revert the driver back to nouveau, so one can start the nvidia driver install from scratch here:
http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=6&id=4334

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board