Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Fedora Need help removing nvidia driver

Need help removing nvidia driver

Link to this post 31 Jan 10

when I originally ran yum remove kmod-nvidia it said that the driver is on the system but not installed, according to the boot log the nvidia driver is still being used. Thanks for taking the time to help me btw.

No problem, Removing the kmod-nvidia might not have removed xorg-x11-drv-nvidia, so, if we just repeat everything once more it hopefully will work this time.

Repeat these commands again and then reboot. Make sure the asterisks are in the commands.

su -c "yum remove kmod-nvidia*"
su -c "yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia*"
su -c "rm /etc/X11/xorg*"
su -c "rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf"

If xorg rebuilds itself during boot, it's okay, but it might insert "vesa" in where "nouveau" should go, but that's easy to fix. I've done this operation a few times so it should work.

If you get a "no file found" while doing the commands, it's ok, it means they're gone.

Yahooo! It worked! The GUI is up and running! Thanks a million. The main reason I was trying to install the nvidia driver was that I wanted to be able to use some of the more advanced graphical effects in Fedora and such.

YES.....I'm doing the Snoopy dance.....YES!!!!!

OK, enjoy, have fun. Any other questions feel free to ask.

:-)

Hey win

BTW - When your ready - start a new thread here in Fedora asking how to install the Nvidia drivers, and I'll help you through it. I promise, it's a lot easier than trying to fix them when they break.

Tom

The only issue that I have noticed when everything was up and running is that my sound volume is extremely low even though my speakers and the volume settings are set to max. Could this be an issue with the updated kernel that was installed?

EDIT: Never mind I was able to uncover a hidden audio control and it's working now.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board