Linux.com

New and Confused!!

Link to this post 28 May 11

Hello Linux Community,

Well I'm a newbie with the Linux world and totally green with when it comes to software, driver installs and the all around technical attributes of Linux computing. As you have already noticed I've been with "WinDoze" as they say, too long. I want to convert darn it!! :blink:

So I am here for advice and direction. My first accomplishment is the installation of Fedora 14. I don't know why this distro but then again why not right? OK my first form of duty is to install a Asus usb N13 wireless net work adapter. As we all know in MS WinDoze all we need to do is insert disc and follow the promps....simple, In Linux no such pleasure...I actually have to work a little to get what I want. No biggie I like work and work hard at it, but I can admit failure...but never defeat. Thats why I'm here, looking for a hand and not "da-feet" :P

Anyway, please direct me on how to go about getting my n13 installed. Picture too would be great ;)

Thanks you!

We'll need to know what wireless chip is in that adapter. If you type "lsusb" (without the quotes) in a terminal it should tell us, look for the line that says wireless network adapter or wifi network adapter, then post that line here.

Hello Goineasy9 and thanks for your reply.

$ lsusb = "Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0b05 : 1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter"

This usb dongle seems a bit problematic. First let's check a few things. Are you totally updated, that is, have you kept up with the updates that F14 has released since you installed? If not, run:

su <enter>
<your password> <enter>
yum update

Then just answer the prompts until it is finished. If you're updated, then, forget that part.

Question: Do you have the rpmfusion repo installed? If you don't know, you can run:

yum repolist

in the terminal, and if RPM Fusion isn't one of your repos, we can help you set it up.

Question: Are you using a PAE kernel? Fedora will install a PAE kernel by default if you're using the 32 bit version. Once again, you can find this out by running:

uname -a

in the terminal and giving us the output.

In order to get the correct driver and have it install correctly, we need to know where we're starting from. Originally, this usb dongle was supposed to work with the rt2870 driver, but, it seems that folks have only had success with the rt3070 driver. That driver is available in the rpmfusion repo, but needs kernel-devel installed to make it compile correctly, but, we need to know what version of Fedora (32 or 64 bit) and what kernel your using before we start installing anything.

I will work on these steps. Two questions though, 1- do I need to have an Internet connection while doing these steps or any other for that matter? 2- can this be done on a live install?

Link to this post 29 May 11

Yes you need internet access to update and install the driver. You can do it with LiveCD but will loose everything once the computer is shut down.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board