Linux.com

New and Confused!!

Link to this post 29 May 11

Ok first I will do a full install of the distro in the machine I tend to use.

Question: how do I get updates to a machine that I'm trying to get a network adapter on?

Remember very green here..... Maybe I should be using "Mint" I would surely blend in!!

I would say to find a place where you can attach the ethernet adapter. The problem with your wifi adapter is that it's drivers are not in the Linux kernel, so, while you can certainly download the drivers, copy them to a usb stick, then, copy them into the computer, this is a much harder way of achieving what a few simple commands will do if attached to a wired network.

BTW - using Mint if your new to Linux is a good choice. If you going to do your first install, Mint should have everything running right out of the box. It may even have a pointer to the driver of your wifi dongle. Although, like I said, searches have found that dongle to be problematic, so, having a wired connection will make the installation of drivers a lot less frustrating.

Goineasy9 wrote:

BTW - using Mint if your new to Linux is a good choice. If you going to do your first install, Mint should have everything running right out of the box. It may even have a pointer to the driver of your wifi dongle. Although, like I said, searches have found that dongle to be problematic, so, having a wired connection will make the installation of drivers a lot less frustrating.

I did have mint at one point, infact my original choice of distro. I believe though I had the same issue. Would all these steps your so kindly giving me be useful in mint? Also I feel guilty taking your advice and guidance with Mint in a Fedora thread.

For now I will stick to Fedora mainly because of the time you have taken so far, and honestly, Fedora seemingly mimics windoze in some way.

I'm away from my machine at this time and working from my IPhone. I will perform what you have suggested very soon and keep you posted.

Thanks Goineasy9. Don't give up on me now ok? :)

Don't stick with Fedora because I use it or this is a Fedora thread. If you like Fedora, that's a different story. The only reason I can give you the help on your wifi is because I've searched the fedora forum threads looking for folks who have that same wifi dongle and have looked for solutions.

I'll give you a hint on Google Foo. I Googled the ID part of your wifi string, that is, "ID 0b05 : 1784", when you first posted it, and found many threads asking for help. The Ubuntu forums had many threads, but, I guess that's cause it's the most popular. So, whether your distro is Fedora, or, a Debian based distro like Mint or Ubuntu, there are possible solutions.

Fedora has something called the akmod's, which allow you to build a driver automatically when a new kernel comes in, or, just to build a module on an existing kernel just by rebooting. I think Debian uses dkms for a similar purpose. If you install the driver from the rpmfusion repo, then, install the akmod-rt3070 app, rebooting should build the driver for the kernel that you are using. I know this sounds technical, but, it's really not that hard to understand once you get used to it.

There are no guarantees though, the wifi chip in your dongle is not that Linux friendly, so, while we may get it to work, it may be hit and miss as to how well it works. Just let us know when you need more help, we'll be here. Also, be patient, sometimes we're at our day jobs and don't have an opportunity to respond right away,

Link to this post 30 May 11

Goineasy9 wrote:

I installed Linux Mint in my machine, I will post a thread in that category.

Link to this post 30 May 11

OK, but, I just realized we don't have a Mint section ... how'd we miss that? So if you want to post here or in Ubuntu or in the Just getting started section ... wherever, we'll see you.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board