Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Fedora New to Fedora, semi New to Ubuntu.

New to Fedora, semi New to Ubuntu.

Link to this post 12 Jun 11

Ok i've been using Ubuntu for the past few months, I have been running into issues with ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, and not being able to use the new Linux kernal that Fedora 15 and ubuntu 11 are using was driving me insane. So, I decided to try Fedora, in the end I settled with my new triple boot system, Windows 7 500GB, Fedora 15 w/Gnome3 215GB, and Ubuntu 10.10(10.10 because it works well) 215GB.

I have one easy, stupid question, that I am embarrassed to have to ask. In Fedora... where the hell do I restart/shutdown the computer. lol

If your referring to F15 with Gnome3 if you go to the dropdown menu on the upper right, you'll see that the bottom choice is "suspend". If you hold down alt, the suspend turns into shutown.
this one of the many reasons I reinstalled Fedora 15 with KDE. BTW- there are gnome-shell-extensions that can be installed in Gnome3 that will make it more usable.
Yum install gnome-shell-extensions.

yes that is what I was referring to, however I ran into a much larger issue.

Ok I am starting to believe I have a much larger issue here then ubuntu or fedora. On ubuntu my issue was the whole screen going black with Natty Narwhal ubuntu 11.04 after installing the ATI RADEON driver, however on ubuntu 10.10 still today it works perfect.

So I am trying to move to Fedora, to see how it differs from ubuntu. Everything is fine so far i've installed a lot of things and found it quite easy to use, have no idea why it would not also be recommended for beginners, isn't much different then ubuntu.

Anyway so now with Fedora I installed this and that and i'm moving on smoothly praising fedora as i go so happy I gave it a chance, then BOOM this issue hits me, "Your graphics card does not support 3D acceleration". Which I assure you it does, ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB VRAM.

Now what? Is the new Linux kernel seriously not comparable with my video card, or is there something I can do with Fedora I am not aware of? This time, with Fedora since I did not find a "Install propriatary drivers button" I simply installed the 64 bit latest ATI RADEON 4x+ Series driver for linux directly from ATIs website. Please let me know if there is something else I can do. I would really love to fix this issue....

Maybe the reason I am having a issue within Fedora, is that instead of letting it try the drivers "right out of the fedora box" I just went a head and started messing with things and downloaded and installed stuff from ATI's website.

I re-installed Fedora 15 this time with the KDE 4.6 gui, I will let you how it goes for me. Looks promising so far. Loved gnome before, but gnome 3 is ridiculous.

Link to this post 13 Jun 11

One great hint with KDE 4.6.3, right click on the empty desktop, look at desktop settings, AND, unlock the Widgets, click the cashews and have fun looking at and adding Widgets. I have my KDE desktop looking like Gnome 2 (I got used to the upper and lower panels) with all the advantages of KDE.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board