Linux.com

Linux on a USB

Link to this post 23 Feb 11

I've been thinking about getting Linux and using it on a USB but I'm not sure how it will work on a USB as I have never used Linux before. I wanted to get Linux so I could play games on it and not have any of the games interfere with the host computer I'm using. Would it be possible to use a USB that has Linux on a Windows computers? Well, I think that the Linux runs off the USB but I'm not sure. Also if I have a USB with a U3 system is that the same as having a Linux system?

You can install a Read-only Linux filesystem on a USB drive for a secure and potable mobile system. However your goal use on multiple systems may make gaming questionable and on a per computer basis.

In most cases you will need to remove the entire filesystem and all files from the USB drive to make it a bootable Linux disk.

Well... can I use Linux right off my USB without affecting the main OS that the host computer has? Or will it even let me is the question. Its a school computer.

rexdino5 wrote:

Well... can I use Linux right off my USB without affecting the main OS that the host computer has? Or will it even let me is the question. Its a school computer.

You are correct, when you run an OS from a Live medium you do not affect the disks on the host machine, but you can access the disks and buypass the windows file permissions, so your IT department may still consider it a security risk and have rules against that type of use.

So just to make sure I get this correct, your basically saying that if I did manage to open a OS on the school computer, that I might be violating security rules, and I might get in trouble. Right?

Link to this post 24 Feb 11

rexdino5 wrote:

So just to make sure I get this correct, your basically saying that if I did manage to open a OS on the school computer, that I might be violating security rules, and I might get in trouble. Right?

That is correct, you may want to speak with IT representatives at your school to see if the use would be allowed.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board