Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Games Looking for some help!

Looking for some help!

Link to this post 31 Dec 13

So, let me start off by saying this is my first time having a personal computer with Linux, currently running Ubuntu 12.04. So far; I am very impressed. There are many pros, but just as many cons. I, obviously being a noob, have no clue how to run Windows games, on or off Steam, through wine. I am a learner with many questions, so help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

S.X.

Link to this post 05 Jan

As you may already know, you should not expect windows based software to work on non-windows operating systems. With that being said, you can check the wine beginner how-to at http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/index or explore the wiki for application use information. As for the methods used within steam, steam has a large Linux user community and you can ask within those communities how they have accomplished the tasks as they are the most versed in the required methods.

Link to this post 30 Jan

Steam runs natively on Ubuntu 12.04 and is your best option as far as games. If you plan on using wine I recommend www.PlayOnLinux.org and using their version of wine as well as installers, for the most part they just work (or don't).

Let me know if you make some progress.

Link to this post 30 Jan

Also, you can literally drag and drop any .deb file onto the Ubuntu software center to use that to install it easily for you. I do the same in Debian.

Link to this post 31 Jan

I currently have steam running great on Debian 7.3 (Wheezy), to be honest it's running better then it did on Ubuntu, however was a bit more complicated to setup.

Link to this post 05 Feb

Virtual Machine can also be a help..

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board