Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Games Trying to decide. Need more information.

Trying to decide. Need more information.

Link to this post 28 Nov 12

Alright, here goes.

I'm putting together a new machine, Phenom Quad Core, 8GB RAM, GT 520 Video Card.

I'm currently running XP Home and I play a LOT of games on Steam, etc.
However XP doesn't fully support my new setup, and finally gives me a reason to fully consider the switch to Linux.

I've looked around at Wine, PlayonLinux, etc.
So far the most positive sounding thing I've seen mentioned is a 'Windows VM'

Could someone give more information about that?
Will that eliminate the compatibility issues with Linux towards the games?
Will that allow my system to utilize the full RAM and processor power available, which XP itself simply will not?

Any other useful information would also be appreciated, thank you.

Link to this post 29 Nov 12

MasterFrogg.

Pardon me for my short response. I'm dealing with a monster head ache right now. The quick answer is Windows VM is just a program that lets you use Windows inside of Linux. An OS in an OS if you will. Even then, Windows VM will bog down your computer far more than if you just played the games in its natural Windows environment.

WINE sucks. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm too tired to act like it doesn't. The fact is WINE tries to apply generic Windows libraries to play specific Windows games. I've used WINE, and for every program that didn't brutally die on me, it had problems coming out the Ying Yang. I've never used Play on Linux, so I can't comment on that. So, will the Linux programs eliminate the compatibility problems with your games? No. But it will tick you off trying to fix rabbit hole problems.

Will it use your full RAM and Processor? Yes. But so will Windows 7, and you might actually get to play with more than a quarter of your current Windows game library. I would heavily recommend just getting Windows 7 and playing your games on that. It will save you so much time and sanity I can't even fully put it into words.

Please let me know if this helps. I really am sorry I couldn't give you better news.
Izzy1512

Actually, That was the conclusion I was coming to slowly.
I really am intrigued by Linux, but as a desktop gamer, it does seem that I'll probably be sticking with Windows.

I do appreciate your input, and if anyone else has anything to add, I look forward to hearing it.

(Now off to try finding a deal on Microsoft's overpriced necessity of a system.)

Just as an added idea: You might be able to get an upgrade Windows 7 disk, instead of buying a full fledged Windows 7 copy. If you already have XP, it should let you install the upgrade OS. It should function all the same, and be about $50 cheaper.

Wait. What... Did I just advise you to buy Windows instead of trying Linux? On the official Linux forum? I guess my account is as good as gone. :D

Link to this post 30 Nov 12

Izzy1512 said:

Wait. What... Did I just advise you to buy Windows instead of trying Linux? On the official Linux forum? I guess my account is as good as gone. :D

This made me chuckle. I don't see why they would do that. You're simply giving me a realistic response.

The truth is, Linux doesn't have the game support that I desire.
I do appreciate your idea for the upgrade disk. Thank you.

Link to this post 30 Nov 12

No problem. I'm glad I could help.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board