Linux.com

bash programming

Link to this post 28 Aug 09

Hello I am taking a linux scripting class at a community college in FL, and I encounter some difficulties.

I created a direcotry named HW where I have all my homeworks.
Since the last few days, I can not access the content of the HW directory, and I can not write any script using "vi"

When I enter:
cd HW <enter> # I get the following message
bash: cd: HW: Permission denied

If I try to write a script using "vi", when I try to save it, I get the message:
"name_of_file" E212: Can't open file for writing.

The folder "HW" is owned by root and not the user. Somehow when using vi (maybe you originally started it in terminal when logged in as root) you created the folder as root. Try becoming root in a terminal ("su enter <password> enter), then do cd HW (or cd /HW) and see if you have access.
You can change the owner of folder HW by becoming root and executing the command chown <username> HW.

Hope this helps

Hello< thank you very much for your help.

I did enter su enter enter, but I get the message: password incorrect. When asked; I enter my password, and it is incorrect.

Only you know your root password, are you sure your using the "root" password and not your user password? Maybe your caps lock key is on, Linux sees passwords differently if typed in caps. (Example: password will be seen differently than PASSWORD by the system).
Did you hit enter once or twice after typing su?
su <enter>
password <enter>
should give you a root prompt if you type in the correct root password.

If you still can't get into it because you forgot the root password you set on installation, you can reset the root password. This link should work. I tried it out on my system and it worked like a charm

Hope this helps :cheer:

http://www.wallpaperama.com/forums/how-to-reset-linux-root-forgotten-passwords-get-retrieve-root-password-t956.html

I know my password was spelled correctly, so I guess I have a user password.
When I log on I use a computer at my community college.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board