Linux.com

best distro for me??

Link to this post 10 Jan 10

hi i really wanna learn linux (everything about it) i was wondering what would be the best distro to start with? thanks:)

If your aim is to learn then I would recommend Slackware, Gentoo and Linux From Scratch. These are among the most involved, they are listed in order of the most user friendly to the least user friendly.

I myself am a Slackware user because I like the flexabiity between doing it the easy way and the more involved way.

thank you :)

Link to this post 11 Jan 10

The best distro depends on what you intend to use it for, and what hardware you have. If you need a super-simple, graphical, beginner-friendly desktop Linux that works on most hardware, look in the Ubuntu family. Ubuntu and its siblings (Kubuntu, Xubuntu) and offspring (Linux Mint, SuperOS, MoonOS, Crunchbang and dozens more) work on most hardware and are quite intuitive,

To "learn Linux," if you are really interested in the nuts-and-bolts of Linux and willing to invest lots of time and bandwidth and trial-and-error, the previous post's advice is good.

Didjya know there's a "distro chooser wizard" to help you find a distro that fits? Check it out here!

Have fun,
Robin

Link to this post 18 Jan 10

If by learning, you mean you wish to know how linux's innards are fit together, and how they work together, then I highly recommend Linux From Scratch. It is easiest to build a Linux from Scratch system from another distribution, and for a beginner I would recommend building from Ubuntu. During installation of Ubuntu, you need to make sure to leave an empty partition for your build. If you have any problems setting everything up, you can always come back here, and I am sure that myself and others would have no objection to helping you.

=)

Link to this post 19 Jan 10

is there a guide on how to do this for beginners??

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board