Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Best PCI Wireless Adapter for Linux?

Best PCI Wireless Adapter for Linux?

Link to this post 15 May 09

I'm looking to buy a new PCI Wireless Adapter for my PC, and i'm wondering what cards will work out of the box. I use Ubuntu 8.10, but it would be nice to work on other distros out of the box.

It's all about the chipset of the card. You can find a list of wireless devices and their linux drivers at linuxwireless.org

You can try to use Ubuntu Jaunty it supports lots of wireless adapters built in or addons, even usb wireless adapter can be supported by this outstanding new Version of ubuntu.

B)

Rahat Ahmed wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new PCI Wireless Adapter for my PC, and i'm wondering what cards will work out of the box. I use Ubuntu 8.10, but it would be nice to work on other distros out of the box.

jc, why do you prefer PCI to USB? USB is usually cheaper, and just as well, if not better supported, in Linux. Plus, better reception, as those antennae can get hidden behind the PC. i personally used a Hawking USB wireless adapter on my Fedora laptop until i sat on it one day and snapped it in half...oh...right

thats the disadvantage of a usb wireless to little to sat to hehehehe kidding aside, i agree with atreyu, use usb wireless instead of PCI adapter but be care full not to sit on it. ;)

Link to this post 17 May 09

Hmm.. For some reason I always thought internal ones were better than USB..

Anyways, I found two old wireless adapters hiding around. A Netgear WG111v1 and WG311v2(i think). The first is USB and the second is PCI. Which one should I use? (USB requires ndiswrapper, not sure about PCI but it probably does too)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board