Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Configuring / Plugging a usb modem to Slax...

Configuring / Plugging a usb modem to Slax...

Link to this post 23 Oct 09

Hello.
Ok. I'm pretty new at this. So again, bear with me...
I have a laptop with a faulty HD. I'm running Slax on a LiveCd.
I'm trying to install a usb modem but of course, something isn't working...
So, basically there are a couple of questions here...
1) Can it be done? Considering that it's running from the CD...
2) I'm assuming that I have to "mount" the usb modem but I don't have the slightest clue either where or how.
3) Although I just found out that the system already recognized the usb device (through KinfoCenter - USB Devices) still, I don't know how to enable it...
Thanx.

First off any setting you make will not be saved because they cannot be saved to the disk, once the computer is rebooted the changes will be lost.

Since the modem is detected you should be able to use kpp (if on KDE) , I beleive gnomepp for gnome or even wvdial from the command line to configure and activate the modem. The question at hand is if any of the listed apps are on your live CD.

You can find out the device node this modem is connected to

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*

Usually this is /dev/ttyUSB*. There will be two of them. In my case, I have the following for a Huawei E220 hsdpa usb modem

/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1

In your case it could be different ttyUSB1, ttyUSB2 etc., (depends on number of devices attached and/or when it was attached)

and if you have wvdial on the CD, you can create the file ~/.wvdialrc

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = *99#
Username = username
Password = password
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT

[Dialer huawei]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Init5 =AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","your.apn"

change your.apn to your APN and use

wvdial huawei

to connect. You don't need to mount the modem.

But wait! It could be a lot simpler if you have a recent version of networkmanager included. The KDE/GNOME networkmanager applet detects the modem and it would just be a matter of providing the phone number *99#, the APN and a username and password. You could provide internet/internet or anything else for the username/password if you don't have one.

And.. this did work for me - I was using a ubuntu live dvd first time and then I guess it was openSUSE 11.1 KDE4 live.

Haven't tried Slax in a while!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board