Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Debian based distro that comes with up to date and new sofware

Debian based distro that comes with up to date and new sofware

Link to this post 17 Jun 13

Hello Linux Community. I was wondering if any of you know a Debian distro that comes with the latest apps,sofware and kernel! Other than pure Debian Sid.
cheers!!

You can try Siduction which is based upon debian sid, one of the mods here is a core member of the dev team for that distro.

Thanks mfillpot! I have heard Sid can break easily though! I was hoping to find something that is based of maybe debian testing or stable but comes with up to date software within there repos!

The stability of debian is based upon their conservative approach to software, they take a while to test software before pushing the updates which is why they are known for their stability. Up-to-date software will only limit the stability.

I did check distrowatch for debian testing based distros at (http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Debian+%28Testing%29&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active) and found that antix and pardus are based off of debian testing, I have heard good things about both of those but have not tested them myself.

Link to this post 20 Jun 13

Crunchbang Linux is good.
It is based on Debian's Testing branch

Link to this post 20 Jun 13

SparkyLinux
Kali Linux (formerly known as BackTrack)
antiX
PureOS and PureOSlight
Parsix GNU/Linux
Pardus Linux
Window Maker Live
Webconverger is a live, Debian-based web kiosk
Finnix
SolydX and SolydK
Grml is a bootable CD (live CD) based on Debian GNU/Linux
Epidemic GNU/Linux
LinEx
Swecha LiveCD
DistroWatch.com search for distros based on Debian Testing

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board