Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Displaying cracked laptop screen on external

Displaying cracked laptop screen on external

Link to this post 27 May 12

I was given a brand new HP laptop because the screen is cracked. The laptop works. I booted on my external monitor. This is my problem. I need to boot bios to access. External monitor isn't displaying till windows is booted. I need visual on the bios to run password reset program.

Link to this post 28 May 12

Well, the bios won't output on any buy the built in screen. You can check ebay for a partially broken laptop of the same model to swap out the monitors.

I'm fairly good at fixings things. How difficult would it be to replace the screen myself??

Generally you only need to have a screen from the same model, it is as simple as installing a peripheral, unscrew the mount screws, unplug the device and replace with the new monitor.

Thanks mfillpot. Do you by chance have any recommendations on my HP tower that I posted on the other newbie thread???

Can you please post a link to the thread that you are referring to?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board