Linux.com

Dual Booting help

Link to this post 19 May 09

vtel57 wrote:

Hi Brian,

Believe me when I say that I wasn't trying to take anything away from Debian by suggesting that the original poster install Ubuntu instead. I agree with you [b]100%[/b] about Debian. You see it in my sig. It's just that as a pure neophyte, the Ubuntu might be a bit easier for him to install as his first GNU/Linux experience. After playing with Ubuntu for a while I would definitely suggest a move to Debian, though.

Regards,

~Eric

I think so, too, and if you check my points, I was also careful to say that something like a Ubuntu or a SimplyMEPIS would be easier to get going, right out of the gate, but I think when we suggest stuff to the complete neophyte, it bears mentioning what it would take and offer some alternatives.

Some people are best off to dig right in to a Debian, a Slackware, an Arch, or even a Gentoo. Clearly they are in the distinct minority, but there are occasionally some who are willing to do the extra learning and the extra work to get something that is more personal, more customized, and more specific to a particular need, and that is where a Debian can do it. I totally agree that there are not a great number of people that are immediately ready to make that leap, and that is why I also agreed that a Ubuntu or SimplyMEPIS would be a great starting point (I personally prefer SimplyMEPIS to Ubuntu, closer to Debian Lenny), but both are great and either would get the job done very well.

Ok, I'm not all that concerned about getting any more music, until i have a larger hard drive ( as mentioned before only 160gb ), which hopefully will be quite soon with my summer break coming up, I am only concerned with reading, but thank you on the suggestion, I will definitely keep that in mind once I i have that larger hard drive.

The reason i won't really be using Linux as my only OS is because of my choice in PMP MP4. I have a Zune, which is incompatible with Linux in any form, which yes, angers me. Windows has been annoying me lately, and I am wanting to switch back over to XP to get away from Vista. So, writing to the partition won't really be a problem for me.
Though as being a student, and as Linux is more stable then Vista, I may, end up creating an FAT partition anyway so i may read and write to these files from Vista.

A couple of other things I think I'll need to know that would help me choose which I would be best off with, in terms of distro.
1. Me being a person who is big on media, and things of the like, which would make it easiest for me to access these files?
2. I, also, am almost always connected to the Internet on my laptop ( the computer I am wishing to dual boot ) so, I need to know which is easiest, and most reliable when connecting to the Internet, wirelessly, and hardlined.
3.As said before I'm a student. Which would be most reliable, in terms of writing in .doc, .xps, .docx, .rtf, and .txt?

First Edit: Just to serve as a distinction, I am willing to learn all I can to get this to work for me. I am, also willing to work with it until it works for me.

Second Edit: Yes, I know i am quite specific on what I need, and I,also, know that I may not get all of it, but I would at least like to have the Internet thing and the text documents.

Hey again, Avery...

1) If you'd like to stay in the Debian-family, try Linux Mint. Easy to install. It's a "Live" CD, so you can play with and test it on your hardware before installing. Also, an excellent choice would be Brian's suggestion of Simply Mepis.

2) You can test your wireless connectivity with the Live CD.

3) OpenOffice.org is an AWESOME OpenSource alternative to MS Office. It will do everything you need and more. It runs in any GNU/LInux operating system (or in Windows, if you want to try it out there).

Luck!

~Eric

Link to this post 20 May 09

Ok, thank you all for your help. If I get anymore question this will be the place I'll come.

Link to this post 22 May 09

mabus627 wrote:

The reason i won't really be using Linux as my only OS is because of my choice in PMP MP4. I have a Zune, which is incompatible with Linux in any form, which yes, angers me.

Have you tried VMWare? I haven't, just a thought...

A couple of other things I think I'll need to know that would help me choose which I would be best off with, in terms of distro.
1. Me being a person who is big on media, and things of the like, which would make it easiest for me to access these files?
2. I, also, am almost always connected to the Internet on my laptop ( the computer I am wishing to dual boot ) so, I need to know which is easiest, and most reliable when connecting to the Internet, wirelessly, and hardlined.
3.As said before I'm a student. Which would be most reliable, in terms of writing in .doc, .xps, .docx, .rtf, and .txt?

If you want to go with the distro that has the most questions about it answered, then go with ubiquitous Ubuntu. My evidence: I have to google for my (Fedora) Linux questions with a "-ubuntu" just to get relevant hits. friggin ubuntu.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board