Linux.com

error: no such device:

Link to this post 24 May 10

this is about the 4th time i've tried to reinstall linux ubuntu with no results. i am attempting to have a dual boot system with ubuntu and windows 7. i have a gateway lx series with an intel core 2 quad Q8200 processor, nvidia gt120 with 1gig of dedicated ram, 8 gigs of ram. after going through the entire installation process, after it tells me to restart and kicks out the CD, before i get to select os or anything, i get this message:
error: no such device: 14150b0a-9486-4824-94c3-8d93cfa1afa4.
grub rescue>

What do i do? i want to have a decent computer to at least work with. i can load from the live cd again, but that's kind of a pain because none of my settings stay.

Thanks in advance for your time guys.

It sounds like the bootloader automatically makes a references to the partition ID, but is unable to load he partition ID's to figure out which partition to boot. I recommend booting into the live-cd, mounting your ubuntu partition and modifying the ubuntu entry in /boot/grub/gurb.conf (or whatever the grub2 configuration file is) then modifying the entry with that string to make a clean partition reference such as /dev/sda3 (insert the partition number that ubuntu is installed on).

cd /dev/disk/by-uuid
ls -l

You'll see there which partition your linux system is in :)

In /boo/grub/menu.lst you'll see something like this:

# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/18e90de5-eb68-4e20-8b25-a90759cbec71 fbpercrtc=1 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

Change it to look like:

# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdxX fbpercrtc=1 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

Where sdxX is the partition we found out before :)

Although I must warn you that I do not know for sure if Ubuntu 10.04 comes with Grub2 and therefore I'm not sure these instructions are gonna work. They are worth a try though ;)

Ubuntu 9.10 and up all use grub2, that is one of my general annoyances.

Marc is correct about the steps and how to track infromation, you can find an example of a grub2 custom menu entry on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Custom%20Menu%20Entries, if you can piece together the infromation from Mac and the link I provided then you should be able to fix the issue.

wow guys. ok. i'm sorry. can you dumb that down a bit? if it's too much of a pain i understand but i'm kind of looking for a step by step deal here.
1. turn on pc
2. wait for pc to mess up
3. bang head against desk repeatedly until you can no longer read error: no such device: ######
4. take half a bottle of asprin with a handle of irish whiskey.

see what i'm getting at? again, thanks guys.

is there a way to do instant messaging on linux.com? i think that would make life a bit easier.

i found using sudo fdisk -l gives me a whole bunch of info that i dont know what to do with.

Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512=8225280 bytes
sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes/ 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes/ 512 bytes
disk identifier: 0xf4dcae3e

Device Boot start end blocks id system
/dev/sda1 1 1913 15366141 27 unknown
/dev/sda2 * 1914 77826 609763324 7 HPFS/NTFS

i hope one of you guys can make sense of this. it's kind of jibberish to me at this point. i'm gonna go back to step 3 i think.

Link to this post 25 May 10

Sent you a PM to talk on IM :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board