Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Good O.S. for older laptop to run beside win xp

Good O.S. for older laptop to run beside win xp

Link to this post 23 Aug 12

mfillpot said:

petersonlevi88 said:

Thank you much. They have no exp with Linux and I myself am somewhat of a newcomer. I love Ubuntu 64 bit but have problems with running files on Fedora 17 64 bit. If you have any advice on how to get Zorin 6 64 bit to run as install from saved file on Fedora without disc, please let me know. Thanks.

You can set grub2 to boot the iso file to run it as though it is a physical disk with the instructions at http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/how-to-boot-iso-with-grub2-easy-way.html

Great info, but he is using Fedora not ubuntu.....:-)

petersonlevi88 said:

Thank you all. I have a 1GB flash and 650MB CD-RW'S I do have a 4GB micro sd card and card readers on both PC's. Can that work???

The 1GB and 650mb CD will work. Never tried to boot with sd cards on a laptop. If the bios can see it, then why not.

Use your 1GB usb flash and burn the image to the media and boot your laptop with it. Use the links that I have posted previously.

Zorin OS 6 light
Mint 13 that uses Mate, or xfce

linux mint 13
Zorin OS 6 light

Istimsak Abdulbasir said:

Great info, but he is using Fedora not ubuntu.....:-)

the utility listed is available for both and they both use grub2, the example still applies.

The unetbootin application that is required for the usb boot image instructions is the same that is required for the boot from Hd option, however the only real difference is that the HD option should be used if you want to retain the current os and setup a dual boot, for a new installation the usb stick option is best.

Unfortunately you cannot install a new OS over an old OS which contains the installation source, because the new installation will just delete your installation source when it starts the installation.

unfortunately it does not appear that zorin has an official net install image and the lite image is CD-sized. As long as you have at least the capability to burn and read a cd or a usb stick with 700Mb+ then you can install the lite opion and add the features after the initial installation.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board