Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Good O.S. for older laptop to run beside win xp

Good O.S. for older laptop to run beside win xp

Link to this post 18 Aug 12

I need to select a distro for a friends older laptop which is runnin wim xp pro. They want to keep win, but need a second O.S. cause it's soooo slow. It's an HP with 1.8GHz single core Pentium, 1 GB ram pc-100 style. Has dvd burner, built in wifi and bluetooth. I need it to support this stuff, plus be more snappy cause it's getting old and Win XP Pro is bogging it down. Please help. Thank you. :)

Link to this post 21 Aug 12

With that amount of RAM you should be able to run most distros.

You don't say what level of experience with Linux you friend has.

Distros which come with most of the codecs built in might be best.

Try any of (in alphabetical order):
Fuduntu (Based on Fedora but now Independent)
Kororaa (Fedora Based)
Linux Mint (Ubuntu based)
Mepis (Debian based)
Parsix (Debian based)

If you are looking for a Windows lookalike try:
Zorin OS (Ubuntu based)

There are also some good reports about:
SolusOS (Debian based)

Link to this post 23 Aug 12

Thank you much. They have no exp with Linux and I myself am somewhat of a newcomer. I love Ubuntu 64 bit but have problems with running files on Fedora 17 64 bit. If you have any advice on how to get Zorin 6 64 bit to run as install from saved file on Fedora without disc, please let me know. Thanks.

petersonlevi88 said:

Thank you much. They have no exp with Linux and I myself am somewhat of a newcomer. I love Ubuntu 64 bit but have problems with running files on Fedora 17 64 bit. If you have any advice on how to get Zorin 6 64 bit to run as install from saved file on Fedora without disc, please let me know. Thanks.

If I understand correctly, you want to install Zorin 6 64bit alongside Fedora? This is possible. All you need is a free partition or resize the drive using Zorin. If you want to access or copy files from your fedora install without installing another distro, you can use Zorin or any other liveCD of your preferred distro, boot the system and copy the files to another storage media or to a server.

My suggestions of Linux OS to use for newcommers:

Mint 13 with the mate or XFCE DE
Xubuntu 12.04
Lubuntu 12.04, if you have little memory

I am mostly a debian/Ubuntu user, but prefer ubuntu in most cases. Very user friendly and works with most modern devices with little need to install additional drivers. SolusOS is a great Debian based system with all the codecs installed to work out of the box. Use that after you are comfortable with linux.

Istimsak Abdulbasir

I apologize for my lack of clarity. I do not want to keep Fedora. I have the zorin disc image file saved on Fedora though. I am running dual 320GB SATA HDD's and I want to install zorin from the saved file on Fedora and format the rest or just replace it. I don't have raid set up though so both drives are seperate.I run Ubuntu on my other tower and love it, but don't have a disc large enough to burn zorin file on so I need to do a direct install from the saved file on Fedora. Thank you and I hope this clarifies.

Also, my pc is only lacking in graphics. Dual 320GB SATA HDD's, 8GB DDR2 RAM, 3GHz dual core Pentium D. I just want a different distro than Fedora and decided to try zorin. I abandoned Windows 7 ultimate on my other pc for Ubuntu and am not regretting it.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board