Linux.com

hdd partition for dual boot

Link to this post 15 May 09

b.line wrote:

...a poverty of patience and I hate to get my hands greasy.

Thanks,
b.line

HAHAHA! :laugh: Luck with it, my friend. Give a holler if you need any further assistance. :S

OK Jason,

Your suggestion about the log files crashing the OS (particularly on limited size) aligns with my reading. I'll likely follow your counsel.

I have not read the LVM piece yet but it sounds "logical" to me as well. Probably follow that one too.

I'll look a little closer at the ext4 fs format...I have read only one article to base my opinion on.

And another little jewel you provided was the existence of a gparted live CD. That really helps.

Many thanks,

b.line

b.line,

No prob. Glad that i could help. Does that mean i get the little "applaud" for that? ;)

In case you are using LVM you will have to have a separate /boot partition because grub will not be able to read from a mapper device which LVM creates ( /dev/mapper/flie_name ) so the /boot should be on a non LVM partition. 200 MB should be sufficient enough .

and ofcourse you will have to create a swap partition and that can be on the LVM device . Most people recommend that the swap should be twice the size of RAM however I think it mostly depends on the applications you run on the system. In case of a home PC where the system will hardly swap, a 1 GB swap should be more than enough . In case after installation you feel that you need more swap you can always create more swap devices .

Code_bleu said to go for a separate /var . That is a good move so that in case the root filesystem goes readonly for some reason, even then the messages will be logged and will be helpful for troubleshooting .

Also the best part about using LVM is the ability to create LVM snapshots so that you can roll back the system to a previous state with just a few commands and the disk space needed for these snapshots is negligible in comparison to the data it backs up . You can always google LVM snapshots to know more ;) .

jack wrote:

if you are not very understand it,maybe you want try wubi(ubuntu).

I agree, wubi is his best bet to see if he actually likes Linux before doing a full blown install. Mint4win may also be a better option for him since Mint comes with all the media codecs pre-installed.

With either wubi or mint4win, he'll be able to uninstall Linux from the Add/Remove program if he ends up not liking it.

Link to this post 16 May 09

@anonymous

I had planned to separate the /, boot and /var files as it is generally considered good form. But, I was unaware GRUB was data-map blind...so I'll have a better look at the GRUB facility.

After reading most of the LVM how-to, I would think the entire community would be moving in this direction. The snapshot concept is not new (AS-400 OS-X - 20 years ago) and a well proven database query tool. In that regard, I don't suppose I would have considered including the boot files but you never know. It's interesting to get a look at the underlying concepts these many years later. Solid evidence of the OS community's commitment to principles, in my estimation...bravo.

Thanks for your keen and predictive observations and willingness to assist.

Kinda gives a fella the warm and fuzzy.

b.line

Link to this post 16 May 09

@Ludwid Reyes

What's not to like?

It's like a D-I-Y candy factory with friendly workers.

-command line control;
-Nothing hiding, secret or off-limits;
-New recipes encouraged, old recipes available;
-The only rules are environmental and if you don't like 'em you are encouraged to defy 'em...if you can;
-design scripts, model behavior, write the code;
-Compile your own OS and build your apps to fit your needs;
-Choose your gui and design it the way you want it...or not;
-on and on

But thanks for your consideration.

b.line

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board