Linux.com

Installing on old PC

Link to this post 29 Oct 09

To make it a little easier, since your comp only has 64Mb of RAM the changes of running a live CD or even a GUI is small. Your best bets would be to try Puppy (which you have) or possibly Arch Linux. You can attempt to install Slackware, but if Arch doesn't work then Slackware won't either.

The only other option is for you to install a distro that has no window manager and runs in Command Line Mode, which means that you can't use apps like firefox or anything Graphical User Interface based. But in CLI mode you can use links or lynx to access the internet in a text based browser.

Link to this post 30 Oct 09

you can install slackware without even a cd-drive, doing it all from the hard drive.
For this you will need
1. be able to boot from a linux system (it can be a live system)
2. a sufficiently big partition to hold the slackware*.iso file and to extract it
to a directory in that same partition
3. a boot loader installed on your hard drive (such as grub)
4. and 2 empty partitions for installing slackware (one for the linux system and
a smaller one for the swap)

If you meet these requirements then you can read this page where I describe how
I did it from my hard drive. I explained it for grub. For other boot loaders (eg lilo)
you'll need to adapt ...

http://vonbiber.x10hosting.com/slackware/nocd/index.html

Link to this post 01 Nov 09

Good news, I decided to try from the start, my old laptop runs Puppy 1 with the 64 mb of ram. I'll experiment with this for a while and will try 2, 3, then 4 if each works accordingly. I was reading that I'll have to setup a pagefile which will help with the low ram issue I have. Applications do start but take a while to load up. I'm quite excited.

Link to this post 01 Nov 09

I think you have confused terms, windows uses a paging file, in Linux you setup a swap partition.

The general recommendation for a swap partition is to make it 2X the amount of RAM installed, however with your current amount of memory I would recommend setting up a 2G swap partition.

Link to this post 02 Nov 09

The swap file is where Linux would be copied to and run from?

Link to this post 02 Nov 09

Swap can be a file, but usually it is setup as a partition. Swap is a location on a hard drive that is designated for less used memory files and is also used as RAM if your used memory exceeds your physical RAM size.

You must remember that your hard drives are much slower than RAM chips, even though with swap you may be able to run many things, the performance will be highly degraded compared to running the same apps from RAM.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board