Linux.com

Installing on old PC

Link to this post 28 Oct 09

Thanks for all the suggestions on a distro. First I have a simple problem, and I think the solution is probably simple.
Seems the first step should be to get lilo to boot a live distro from a CD. How do I set up lilo to do this? Does it know how to control a CDROM? Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

I have previously tried GRUB-which did not work. Then I tried PLOP, which was a FLOP. It hung up and I had to reboot, fortunately the MBR was still intact.

Link to this post 28 Oct 09

Well I tried Puppy on that old computer, it starts to boot, then looks like it hangs.. from what I can tell from the puppy website, I don't have enough ram, 64 mb short, will have to look into it more. I could try Gentoo also, does this one have a boot from cd option only too like puppy does?

Link to this post 29 Oct 09

Wow, 64mb ram, I don't think I ever ran anything in 64 mb but DOS. I'm sure that there must be Linux distros that will run under 64 mb, but they will probably be more of a project for you, then a live cd that just runs.

Since you are stating that you are short 64Mb of RAM, then I would assume that you are using 32Mb - 184Mb, in that case I would not be confident that any modern distro with a GUI can run on that system. You can try a distro based on ratpoison, xfce or lxde to see if they will work. However you should be able to setup the system to be CLI-only and run it with minimal applications.

Just don't look for anything fancy when you have minimal resouces available.

You might be able to install Slackware with xfce (exlude the kde packages) on that system and get it running.

Mfillpot, I have no idea what you just said, I am new to Linux. That computer has 64mb of ram, I am not interested in anything fancy, just something for basic web browsing.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board