Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux internet connection no longer working

internet connection no longer working

Link to this post 24 Apr 11

yes, I understand that I need to uncheck it, but how do I get it to stay unchecked?
it used to...

clark923 wrote:

I just noticed that the "work offline" file menu is re-checked every time I go into my browser
how do I get it to stay "online" ?

What version of Firefox are you using?

Maybe NetworkManager don't give the right online status to Firefox. There is a workaround here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=851542#8

saqman2060 wrote:

[code]cat /etc/network/interfaces [/code]
only loopback should be present

shouldn't the ethernet be present too?

iirc it's only present on a server installation, where the interface has an entry like

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

for dhcp, on a desktop system this should be handled by the network manager daemon

Link to this post 26 Apr 11

clark923 wrote:

yes, I understand that I need to uncheck it, but how do I get it to stay unchecked?
it used to...

I had the this same problem w/Firefox (but in Fedora, not Ubuntu), and I tried changing a Firefox config parameter that supposedly fixed it - but it didn't. what eventaully worked for me (as Aron hinted at) was to upgrade to the latest version of Firefox. Note that my distro's repo did not have the latest version of Firefox - I had to manually grab it from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox

hth,

-bill

Link to this post 29 Apr 11

I did download it but (and I know this sounds dumb, but I am very unfamiliar with how to do things with Linux/Ubuntu) how do I install this. It is currently saved on the desktop.

Link to this post 29 Apr 11

clark923 wrote:

I did download it but (and I know this sounds dumb, but I am very unfamiliar with how to do things with Linux/Ubuntu) how do I install this. It is currently saved on the desktop.

sorry, i just noticed that you responded to this...

Believe me, it does not sound dumb.

1. Open up a terminal (e.g., from the Panel along the top/bottom of the screen, select Applications > System Tools > Terminal or, if you are using Gnome, you can press Alt+F2, which brings up a Run Application window - type gnome-terminal then click Run.

2. Change dirs to your Desktop directory (where the file you downloaded is), e.g.:

cd ~/Desktop

3. Make sure you see the file you downloaded, e.g.:

ls firefox-*
firefox-4.0.1.tar.bz2

4. Unpack the archive to the /usr/local dir, e.g.:

tar -C /usr/local -jxf firefox-4.0.1.tar.bz2

NB: The above cmd assumes you are root (or own /usr/local) - otherwise, you'll have to use sudo, if your system is set up for that, e.g.:

sudo tar -C /usr/local -jxf firefox-4.0.1.tar.bz2

NB: if your firefox tarball ends in ".gz" instead of ".bz2", use -zxf instead of -jxf

5. See if you can run it, with this simple test:

/usr/local/firefox/firefox -version

If it works, you should get back Mozilla Firefox 4.0.1 Copyright...blah blah blah
If instead you see libstdc++/GLIBCXX errors, then your system is missing required libraries - report back to us.

If it works, then there are various ways to make it your default, but first see if it works for you...

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board