Linux.com

Internet trouble in Linux

Link to this post 22 Jun 11

hi
i have a serious problem: i am running ubuntu 10.04 and suddenly the wifi network to which i am connected is not shown on my laptop. I can't connect meanwhile my colleagues connect. Where is the poblem comes from ?

Many laptops have a toggle switch which turns wifi access on and off, have you checked to see if somehow it was toggled off?

thank you very much for your kind answer, CoinEasy9, but when I restart my laptop and log into my windows operating system I connect without any problem.
when i restart and log into my ubuntu on the same laptop, no connexion wifi is detected even if i have always connected through ubuntu. Suddenly, for no reason I can't connect. Except I remember I updated some tools that ubuntu asked me on the morning. Afternoon I was not able to connect
When I tape ifconfig on the terminal of ubuntu it shows my ip as: 127.0.0.1
when I ping a website it says it is an invalid address
help me please

begueradj wrote:

thank you very much for your kind answer, CoinEasy9, but when I restart my laptop and log into my windows operating system I connect without any problem.
when i restart and log into my ubuntu on the same laptop, no connexion wifi is detected even if i have always connected through ubuntu. Suddenly, for no reason I can't connect. Except I remember I updated some tools that ubuntu asked me on the morning. Afternoon I was not able to connect
When I tape ifconfig on the terminal of ubuntu it shows my ip as: 127.0.0.1
when I ping a website it says it is an invalid address
help me please

Check

dmesg

iwconfig

/var/log/messages

We might be able to get some information from there :)

Regards

PS: 127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" ip, to connect to your own machine. That's not gonna get you to internet in anyway :S

Link to this post 25 Jun 11

Try to run this command...

sudo rm -f /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

... and reboot

Link to this post 27 Jun 11

Your wireless controller may have become faulty after the update. Bad driver perhaps. Run this command:

#sudo lshw
or
#sudo lspci -v, "this will give you the driver of the device"

and look for your wireless device model. If found, try to install the driver again.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board