Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Learning linux severs: Red Hat or Centos ?

Learning linux severs: Red Hat or Centos ?

Link to this post 19 May 11

Interesting, I have never heard of SL before...

Link to this post 20 May 11

It was interesting that Scientific Linux was the first to come out with a Red Hat 6 clone, while Centos, which always followed Red Hat releases by a couple of weeks, has still been unable to release one. From some DistroWatch comments it seems there is trouble in Centos Land.
With so many businesses using Centos, I hope this is not the case. But, from different mailing lists, I'm seeing a migration to Scientific.

You bring up a good point, Goineasy9. I depend on CentOS a lot and right now, we're happy on 5.x, but if we need to support a RH 6 soon, SL may be the way to go.

This is a good read on the subject (from Brian Proffitt, posted yesterday):
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/166067/hyper-v-shines-spotlight-centos-ready-soon-60-release

atreyu wrote:

You bring up a good point, Goineasy9. I depend on CentOS a lot and right now, we're happy on 5.x, but if we need to support a RH 6 soon, SL may be the way to go.

This is a good read on the subject (from Brian Proffitt, posted yesterday):
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/166067/hyper-v-shines-spotlight-centos-ready-soon-60-release

Well, some clarifications:

1st: SL hasn't released a 5.6 version whereas CentOS has.

2nd (and importand one): CentOS support is *longer*

The thing is that one of the main centos developers (Dag) left the project months ago and they've been restructuring

Regards

marc wrote:

1st: SL hasn't released a 5.6 version whereas CentOS has.

2nd (and importand one): CentOS support is *longer*

The thing is that one of the main centos developers (Dag) left the project months ago and they've been restructuring

Regards

Fortunately, we are solidly entrenched in 5.5 so we're not affected by that.
That definitely hurts losing Dag. I've been benefiting from his hard work for years. I remember reading about his laptop getting stolen and him losing a lot of work.

Link to this post 24 May 11

So what loosing one (even key) developer puts the entire Centos project to restructuring?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board