Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux Learning linux severs: Red Hat or Centos ?

Learning linux severs: Red Hat or Centos ?

Link to this post 24 May 11

brunewarren wrote:

So what loosing one (even key) developer puts the entire Centos project to restructuring?

Not at all, CentOS is well and alive.

Besides, the 6.0 version is due to be out in a couple of days...

Regards

Link to this post 24 May 11

marc wrote:

[b]brunewarren wrote:[/b]
[quote]So what loosing one (even key) developer puts the entire Centos project to restructuring?

Not at all, CentOS is well and alive.

Besides, the 6.0 version is due to be out in a couple of days...

Regards[/quote]

That's good news, I just read the Distrowatch comment about it. Although I do think that Scientific Linux is still an interesting alternative, especially since I learned what it was designed for.
Centos also claims the the 6.1 release will follow after a few weeks after the 6.0 release. I'm glad they sorted things out.

Link to this post 26 May 11

May be I'm wrong, but to my eye, eventually most of these branched out Linux clones will go away. There are too many.

Link to this post 27 May 11

brunewarren wrote:

May be I'm wrong, but to my eye, eventually most of these branched out Linux clones will go away. There are too many.

Well, that depends...

CentOS has been out there for many years...

Regards

Link to this post 27 May 11

Linux is all about choice. If you like the way one distro sets things up and what it includes, then that is your distro. Each distro has its following. If a distro doesn't live up to its claims, it loses popularity and the users move on, but, I won't disparage any well maintained distro, even if its derived from another distro. (Hmm, how many times can I use the word distro in one sentence? ... Now that was too many distros).

Link to this post 02 Jun 11

I guess you're right, it depends on taste, Some prefer fedora and some debian, When no one controls the development, it starts organizing itself. Unfortunately it is not always optimal.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board